cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Dropbox icon has a red notification on it. What should I do?

My Dropbox icon has a red notification on it. What should I do?

mimymu
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I still have a red check mark on icon for a few days now. It can't still be syncing!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey mimymu, I’d happily send you some tips to help you clarify the possible causes of this message! 

As an initial point of reference, you may have a look at this resource, though, depending on your plan & available storage, you may have received this notification because your account is above your storage quota. (To see if this is causing the sync issue, click the Dropbox icon in your system tray or menu bar, click the :gear: icon, click Preferences, then click Account.)

If that was the case, you may have to remove files from your Dropbox account, upgrade to Dropbox Plus or Professional or send referrals, in order to bump up your space. 

Alternatively, in case you were a team member previously, you may have to consult with your team admin in case your plan was downgraded. If you're on a Dropbox Business team, ask your admin to check the team's account status in the Admin Console. 

I hope that my post sheds some light on the behavior, though I’m always here in case you have any additiona questions. Until then, I’m wishing you a wonderful rest of your day! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey mimymu, I’d happily send you some tips to help you clarify the possible causes of this message! 

As an initial point of reference, you may have a look at this resource, though, depending on your plan & available storage, you may have received this notification because your account is above your storage quota. (To see if this is causing the sync issue, click the Dropbox icon in your system tray or menu bar, click the :gear: icon, click Preferences, then click Account.)

If that was the case, you may have to remove files from your Dropbox account, upgrade to Dropbox Plus or Professional or send referrals, in order to bump up your space. 

Alternatively, in case you were a team member previously, you may have to consult with your team admin in case your plan was downgraded. If you're on a Dropbox Business team, ask your admin to check the team's account status in the Admin Console. 

I hope that my post sheds some light on the behavior, though I’m always here in case you have any additiona questions. Until then, I’m wishing you a wonderful rest of your day! 

Jane
dropbox.com/support

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

FernandoSertao
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Suposte you must to click on de red notification, and will be shown a list of tasks or informations about your dropbox status, as limit of space becoming soon, ou upgrading. 

Don't worry, it will work normaly. Just attempt to the tips and click on the texts to be guided trough the soluction. 

JackBristow
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi, I have the same issue however I have space on my hardrive and within my dropbox plan. I am part of a shared team Dropbox and they have access to all folders.  My account hasn't been downgroaded. I have tried unlinking the dropbox account, uninstalling dropbox, restarting etc.

I think the problem started when updating the operating system to Mojave. 

Any suggestions? 

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @JackBristow, thanks for checking out the pointers posted on our resources! 

Following-up from your findings, I’d like to see if you’re getting any diagnostic messages along the way that could lead us towards the best next steps.

If it’s not too much trouble for you, could you include a screenshot (redacting personal info) for me detailing me your sync status if possible? Also, can you clarify if you're seeing this intermittently or constantly after the update to Mojave?

Once I have a look at this, I’ll try to focus on that a bit closer. Thanks in advance!

Jane
dropbox.com/support

JackBristow
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hello Jane,

I had to do an advanced re-install, this article helped - https://help.dropbox.com/installs-integrations/desktop/advanced-reinstall

Thanks,

Jack

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Great news @JackBristow & thanks for sharing! I was quite hesitant to ask you to run an Advanced re-installation, however I was happy to hear that removing the registry entries has done the trick for you; you've done some amazing troubleshooting on this! 

As usual, please feel free to ping us back here again if you have any Dropbox-related questions & we’d be delighted to work with you again. Take care until then! 

Jane
dropbox.com/support

RW2568
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I have a similar situation, I have a 1 in the middle of the red box

contacted support, talked to Peggy, but she was clearly distracted like maybe she was dealing with multiple clients or something. Overworked support staff trying to reduce the back log of clients contacting them?

this was not annoying to me until I started communicating with the support staff

I would rather deal with a wait and get the full attention of the support staff

my dropbox is not full, there is nothing in the notifications that I could find

perhaps if the red box had a follow up, like you click on the dropbox and there was a red box icon that you could click on and follow to a notice, like a flag that said, "follow me to the reason you have this notice" ... nah, to easy

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @RW2568; thanks for joining our Community and sorry to hear about this.

If you've made sure that there's no new notification for you in the desktop app, then I'd suggest unlinking and relinking your account through the app's prefereces. This might do the trick for you!

In case it doesn't, you can try @JackBristow´s suggestion for a clean, advanced re-install.

Keep me in the loop please!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropbox Staff
    RW2568 New member | Level 2
    Jane Dropbox Staff
    JackBristow New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?