Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

5 Comments
1 Like
Highlighted
Level 2

Need to move from business to personal account

Dear Dropbox team,

My Dropbox account got moved to Business over a year ago. The business account is under wiego.org

Now, I would like to move my files [personal information removed for security purposes] to a personal account. I used to have it this way and I'm aware there is a monthly fee. 

Hopefully we can do this in a simple way as my organization is telling me I might need to download everything in Dropbox and create a different account under a different email.

I look forward to your feedback,

Sofia

1 Accepted best answer

Accepted Solutions
Level 2

Re: Need to move from business to personal account

Walter, this is really useful, thank you!!

One more question.

After the Admin converts my account, will I be billed immediately? I know my files exceed the 'free' types of accounts so I just want to make sure that nothing is lost in the process.

5 Replies
Dropboxer

Hey there Sofia (@Sofia2018) - how are you today?

If I were in your shoes I'd ask the team's Admin to convert your account to an individual account as this would be the safest way to do this. 

Here are some things to have in mind during that process Sofia: 

When a team Admin converts a team member to a personal account, their work account becomes a Dropbox Basic account that isn’t connected to the Dropbox Business team. They(i.e. you in this case) will keep all shared files and folders they had access to before joining the team, and any private files in their account.

The user will keep: 

• All private files or folders
  • Shared folders owned by the user
  • Shared folders owned by people not on the team
  • Shared folders owned by the team that the user was invited to before joining the team
  • Private, unshared Paper docs
  • Paper docs shared by external (non-team) users

The user will lose access to:

• Team folders
  • Files in shared folders owned by other team members the user was invited to after joining the team or that have team-only permissions
  • Paper docs shared between member and the team
  • The team’s shared space quota
  • Dropbox Business-only features
  • Account pairing – if the user had connected a personal and work account, their accounts are disconnected.

I hope this information helps Sofia and please let me know if there's anything else I can do from my end to assist with this. 

P.S: If you don't know who the admin on your team is, you can find out here:

https://www.dropbox.com/team

P.S.2: I'm removing your personal information from your post for your own security - I hope you don't mind. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Level 2

Walter, this is really useful, thank you!!

One more question.

After the Admin converts my account, will I be billed immediately? I know my files exceed the 'free' types of accounts so I just want to make sure that nothing is lost in the process.

Dropboxer

Thanks for your prompt response Sofia - most appreciated!

As your account will revert to the basic plan, you'd need to re-upgrade to a plan that suits your needs from this page: https://www.dropbox.com/plans 

Just note that when your account is downgraded, Dropbox will not delete any of your files.

If your Dropbox folder becomes over quota all that should happen is that syncing stops. Dropbox will only sync until you hit your quota, so if you are over quota all that should happen is that Dropbox will not sync any new files.

Keep me posted on your progress @Sofia2018!

Walter

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Level 2

Hi Walter, 

The Admin person in our account, tells me this in fact is not possible. 

She mentiones that "transfering data this way, it's actually not possible, because it's two different outcomes. Converting a Business Team member account to an Individual account is actually a more complicated transfer than ending our paid Business Subscription. "

She asked me to follow the link below to see what I can loose during the transfer.

Apparently I only have 2 options:

1. dumping all my files to Google Drive (which will be messy) or

2. downloading everything to my computer.

I used to pay for my personal Plus account with Dropbox and wanted to maintain this way. Why is it so difficult?

This is the link the Admin person sent me to research: https://www.dropbox.com/help/business/convert-to-individual

From what I understand, I wouldn't have access to the "WIEGO" folders, but everything else is intact... right?
Dropboxer

Yes you got that correct Sofia - if you really need to keep access to the team's stuff you'd need to create a new account and move your personal stuff there.

As you noticed all of the below are NOT transferred when/if your team's admin converts your account to a personal (individual) one: 

• Team folders
  • Shared folders owned by other team members you were invited to after joining the team or that have team-only permissions
  • Shared folders, files, and links that have team-only permissions
  • Team files shared directly with the member, not through shared links
  • Membership to groups and folders shared with the member through groups
  • Shared links created by the member to team files and folders no longer work
  • Shared folder invitations to team content that haven't been accepted no longer work
  • The member can no longer use SSO and instead must sign in using a password
  • Paper docs shared between member and the team.

Also note, that when you joined the team you should have been refunded an amount for your remaining Plus subscription since after an upgrade or transfer of any Dropbox Plus (or Professional) account to a Dropbox Business account, the Plus (or Professional) subscription immediately ends and any remaining credit and prior credit for the Plus or Professional subscription is refunded to the original payment method. Each individual Dropbox account owner can track this information here: 

https://www.dropbox.com/payments

If you choose to have the Admin convert your account back to an individual one, you'll need to reupgrade to the plan you'd like via our plans page at: https://www.dropbox.com/plans

Should your Admin need assistance with offboarding you from the team, they can contact us directly by logging a ticket with our support team.

If there's anything else I can do from my end, please let me know. 

Walter

Manage Account

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help you find an answer!
You won’t have to wait too long for a reply, but why not learn more about the Community while you’re here.

Not the right discussion for you? Find out what else our Community has to say about Managing your account.

Or, search our Help Center for even more.

Who's talking
Top contributors to this post