In need of some #MondayMotivation? Read more

PERMANENTLY DELETING FILES

SOLVED
5 Comments
0 Kudos
Highlighted

PERMANENTLY DELETING FILES

Please help.  I am totally baffled.
I let my Dropbox Plus 1TB fill up with RAW files so it is now full.
On Outlook I deleted hundreds of RAW files BUT still find my Dropbox Plus full showing - 1TB allowed and 1TB used.   I assume that this is because that the files are not deleted PERMANENTLY.
What is the quickest and easiest way to delete RAW files PERMANENTLY.
Deleting one by one would take the rest of my life!!
Thanks very Much.
Robert

1 Accepted solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Super User II

Re: Dropbox Plus still full

How/where did you delete the files; within the Dropbox folder on your computer, or the Dropbox website? If you delete them from the Dropbox folder on your computer, the deletion needs to sync to your account online. Depending on the number and size of the files, this could take a little while. Also, the Dropbox client must be installed and running on your computer for those deletions to sync.

I've merged this thread into the other one that you have on the same subject. You can just reply here instead of creating new threads.

5 Replies
Super User II

Re: PERMANENTLY DELETING FILES

Outhousemouse wrote:

On Outlook I deleted hundreds of RAW files BUT still find my Dropbox Plus full showing - 1TB allowed and 1TB used.

Deleting items from Outlook won't delete them from your Dropbox account. There is no syncing between Dropbox and Outlook. You need to delete the files from the Dropbox folder on your computer, or delete them directly from your account on the Dropbox website.

I assume that this is because that the files are not deleted PERMANENTLY.

You don't need to permanently delete  files. Deleted files do not count against your storage quota. Permanently deleting a file is just the option to remove an already deleted file without the possibility of recovery.

Dropbox Plus still full

My Dropbox Plus account was full.   I assume because I have uploaded too many RAW files in error. 

I have now deleted a few hundred RAW files but my Dropbox Plus is still shown full - 1TB available and 1TB used. 

Now I would have thought by the number of space-consuming RAW files that I have deleted then I would see some space now available but no - my Dropbox is still showing 100% full.

Any answers, please.

Solution
Super User II

How/where did you delete the files; within the Dropbox folder on your computer, or the Dropbox website? If you delete them from the Dropbox folder on your computer, the deletion needs to sync to your account online. Depending on the number and size of the files, this could take a little while. Also, the Dropbox client must be installed and running on your computer for those deletions to sync.

I've merged this thread into the other one that you have on the same subject. You can just reply here instead of creating new threads.

Hi Rich (Super User II)
I have been busy for a few days so only just got a chance to reply.
Thanks for your help and I think that I have sorted out the problem.    This morning I transferred a folder containing 11,000 JPEG files from my Dropbox folder to my WD external hard drive.   I then checked my space on the Dropbox website finding that, at last, my usage has gone down from 1TB (full) to 940GB.   Suddenly Dropbox has burst into life and what I update on the Dropbox folder sychronises with the Dropbox website.    Success!! 
I suspect that I must still must have hundreds if not thousands of RAW files that are gobbling up my Dropbox space. The only way I know how to delete this is:-
- Go to Dropbox folder marked CAMERA UPLOADS.
- Open the folder to reveal hundreds of other folders with pictures taken over the past ten years.
- Methodically open each folder and sort by SIZE and delete the RAW files.
Do you know whether there is a simpler faster method?
Thanks for your continuing help.
Robert

Super User II

Hey

Pleased its sorted

I'm not sure what your OS is, but, could you not go to the root of the 'Camera Uploads' folder and just run a search for *.raw. Then either move them elsewhere or if, as you said, you want to delete them just delete them.

PenguinPenguin - Penguin - Penguin - Penguin

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible!