cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This computer isn't linked to an account

This computer isn't linked to an account

Mark K.20
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I am using a Mac and recently noticed that my dropbox is no longer connected. I have click on Account and [Unlink This Dropbox] is greyed out so it appears to be linked therefore I can't sign in again? I have tried deleting the app and reinstalling it but same issue.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Lara1
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi Mark,

Did you already do an advanced reinstall? If not, it might be worth trying it by following these instructions:

1. Stop Dropbox (If needed):
  • Click the Dropbox icon in the menu bar at the top of your screen
  • Click on the gear icon in the Notifications panel and select 'Quit Dropbox'
  1. Download the newest version:

www.dropbox.com/install

1. Open your Terminal app (Located at /Applications/Utilities/Terminal)

2. Copy and paste the following lines into the Terminal, ONE AT A TIME, and press ENTER after each one. PLEASE make sure you copy and paste these commands (don't type them by hand), as getting them wrong could cause some harm. You'll be prompted for your computer's admin password (not your Dropbox password) after entering the first command. Keep in mind that the password field in the terminal will remain blank as you type your password. After you type it, just press ENTER.

sudo chown "$USER" "$HOME"

sudo chown -R "$USER" ~/Dropbox

sudo chmod -R u+rw ~/Dropbox

sudo mv ~/.dropbox ~/.Trash/dropbox.old

sudo chmod -N ~

sudo mv /Library/DropboxHelperTools ~/DropboxHelperTools.old

1. Open the .dmg file from step # 2 and double click the Dropbox icon to install Dropbox.

2. Restart Dropbox from the Applications folder, then please sign in and apply any Selective Sync settings you may have had prior to the reinstall during the sign in process. Your account will take a few moments to reindex the files and sync any pending changes.

View solution in original post

MikeStone
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I had this same problem. I tried every suggestion here. the only thing that finally worked was to change the proxy setting from 'auto detect' to 'no proxy'. Only then was I able to re-enter my credentials on the dropbox sync app on MAC (to link my account) . then dropbox did a massive sync of 1000's of files.

the biggest hassle is I had many files with the name "conflicted copy". I had to go and change the name of ALL those files back to the original names. this was because the files with the words 'conflicted cpoy' where in fact the latest copy.

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

Lara1
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi Mark,

Did you already do an advanced reinstall? If not, it might be worth trying it by following these instructions:

1. Stop Dropbox (If needed):
  • Click the Dropbox icon in the menu bar at the top of your screen
  • Click on the gear icon in the Notifications panel and select 'Quit Dropbox'
  1. Download the newest version:

www.dropbox.com/install

1. Open your Terminal app (Located at /Applications/Utilities/Terminal)

2. Copy and paste the following lines into the Terminal, ONE AT A TIME, and press ENTER after each one. PLEASE make sure you copy and paste these commands (don't type them by hand), as getting them wrong could cause some harm. You'll be prompted for your computer's admin password (not your Dropbox password) after entering the first command. Keep in mind that the password field in the terminal will remain blank as you type your password. After you type it, just press ENTER.

sudo chown "$USER" "$HOME"

sudo chown -R "$USER" ~/Dropbox

sudo chmod -R u+rw ~/Dropbox

sudo mv ~/.dropbox ~/.Trash/dropbox.old

sudo chmod -N ~

sudo mv /Library/DropboxHelperTools ~/DropboxHelperTools.old

1. Open the .dmg file from step # 2 and double click the Dropbox icon to install Dropbox.

2. Restart Dropbox from the Applications folder, then please sign in and apply any Selective Sync settings you may have had prior to the reinstall during the sign in process. Your account will take a few moments to reindex the files and sync any pending changes.

Ryan N.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I am having the same problems - on my girlfriend;s user acount Dropbox is running fine.

On my user acct I get the No Internet Connectionmessage and my account details are greyed out.

I;ve been through all the forums, followed all the step, including the above but still not working.

I;m a paid user and also use a business acct for work. I;d appreciate any help ASAP

David G.52
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Those with the "This computer isn't linked to an account"

error message might do well to check if a proxy setting has been left active in

Settings>Network>Proxies.

I had entered a proxy for another location on laptop and forgot about it completely.

Problem solved!

Tom_H
Super User alumni
Go to solution

I have also seen the message Dropbox is not linked to an account. In my case it came from our Internet connection being offline. For some reason the Mac didn't connect to the airport like it should have. Once I fixed the WiFi issue, Dropbox was able to start properly.

After it successfully connects to the servers the unlink box returns to active or its able to be clicked and the preferences show it is indeed connected to an account.

Tim D.9
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Advanced reinstall just worked for me to resolve this issue.

dlh2109
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

This helped me. I went into Settigs>Network>Proxies and saw that Proxy Settings was set to "Auto-detect". I changed this to "No proxy" and DropBox linked/connected immediately. Seems to be working fine now. Not sure why I had to do this but it did the trick.  

Marc19
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
Tried this, and it also worked for me,...BUT,.....
When I restart my Macbook, the same problem occurs again.

Any Ideas?
Please Help.

MikeStone
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I had this same problem. I tried every suggestion here. the only thing that finally worked was to change the proxy setting from 'auto detect' to 'no proxy'. Only then was I able to re-enter my credentials on the dropbox sync app on MAC (to link my account) . then dropbox did a massive sync of 1000's of files.

the biggest hassle is I had many files with the name "conflicted copy". I had to go and change the name of ALL those files back to the original names. this was because the files with the words 'conflicted cpoy' where in fact the latest copy.

isaacbalbin
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Note that this may occur is you were using a proxy to get out to the internet (eg at Work) and then decided to use a VPN which your work proxy would then reject as foreign. In that case, turning off the proxy works fine. 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Tim D.9 New member | Level 1
    Tom_H Super User alumni
    David G.52 New member | Level 1
    Ryan N. New member | Level 1
    Lara1 Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?