cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Settings and Preferences

The Dropbox Community is here to help if you have questions about your account settings and preferences. Learn and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"We noticed a new sign in to your Dropbox."

"We noticed a new sign in to your Dropbox."

steve t.5
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

I've been receiving these annoying emails for a few months. Every time I get one, I answer by checking the "yes, it's me" box. Yet they keep coming.

How can I stop these?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

You can update your notificaiton preferences on your Notifications page.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

You can update your notificaiton preferences on your Notifications page.

steve t.5
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution
Thanks for the fast response!

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
We know it can be annoying, it’s just that Dropbox cares about the security of your account, so wants to let you of any possible unauthorized access!

Let us know if you have any further questions.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

OzarkEdge
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I write to suggest that Dropbox has taken the wrong approach in this matter and needlessly causes anxiety for its users while encouraging hacking/phishing expeditions from outside sources.

I received the "new sign in" email yesterday. The information noting the date, time and browser matched my dropbox access. However, the device I had used was one that I have frequently used over the years for Dropbox access.

I assumed the email was a phishing expedition. On the off chance that it was not and Dropbox was going to terminate my account, I logged into the account from my browser using a reliable password keeper application.

I there learned that the "alleged/nominal" domain name from which I had received the email was from an approved domain name for Dropbox communication by email. I do not know how easily domain names can be imitated, but I have many acquaintances whose identities have been hacked and seen email appear in my inbox that seem to be a from my acquanitance but was decidedly not.

To address my concerns, I obtained a user name for community inquiries and learned that the issue has been recently raised by a user. I then returned to the original email and pressed the "Yes" button. The button did nothing.

In response to the noted inquiry of a user, "AgentJay Dropboxer" acknowledged that it can be annoying and suggested that the complainant could change the settings. AgentJay added "Dropbox … wants to let you [know?] of any possible unauthorized access!"

Changing those settings would only create opportunity for a user to be hacked and the victim being unaware of the issue because of the suggestion from "AgentJay". I assert that this pandering to one user's "annoyance" is an unacceptable approach to Dropbox's policing unauthorized use.

There are better ways to address the issue of unauthorized access than following the misguided suggestion of AgentJay J.

I look forward to Dropbox taking a less flippant approach to this issue and resolving it in an appropriate way.

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Sorry you feel that way, and thanks for pointing out the typo.

[edit] Sorry, @Rich pointed out about the notifications, not myself. However I do know that since some users don’t like to be informed on logins, as they might be on multiple devices, and that there is a setting to do so should they wish to.

Regarding the domain used, you can always see which are valid domain names used by Dropbox.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

simple_question
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

(Second try, first post got marked as spam for some reason.)

Too Long; Didn't Read: Does it matter if I *never* click on the "yes it's me" link in these emails?

I find the content of the "We noticed a new sign in to your Dropbox" email annoying.

When I log onto Dropbox, I put in my email and password. I get a text for two factor authentication. I put in the code and access my dropbox. I also get an email (because I have the preference on) that Dropbox noticed a new sign on.

That's all fine and if I didn't like it, I have settings I can change.

But I find the fact that Dropbox asks me to open the mail and click on a link to verify it is, in fact, me annoying. It would be much better design to say: If it's you, do nothing. If it's not you, or if you're not sure, click this button.

So I ignore the "yes it's me", but I don't know if Dropbox actually does anything with the responses (or non-responses) from the "we noticed a new sign on" emails. Will Dropbox somehow limit my account if I ignore too many of these emails?

Thank you. Insight apprecitated.

Fiona
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @simple_question. Nice user name! 

Thank you for your feedback. The simple answer is to de-activate this notification, as suggested in this discussion and this is why I merged you feedback and questions here. 

I also wanted to add that your account will not be limited in any way if you ingore these emails, however if a security email comes in one day, and you are not signing in at the time, for unauthorized activity clicking the "No" option in this email, will save the day and disconnect the unknown browser session. 

Hope this info, makes you like this security feature just a little bit. :slight_smile:

In any case, thank you again for your feedback! 

See you around in the Community. 

Fiona
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Fiona Dropbox Staff
    simple_question Explorer | Level 4
    Jay Dropbox Staff
    OzarkEdge New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?