cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Security and Permissions

Start a discussion in the Dropbox Community forum to get help with your account security and permissions. Find support from Community members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [security] Got a Dropbox security code email, but 2-factor verification is *off*. Reasons?

[security] Got a Dropbox security code email, but 2-factor verification is *off*. Reasons?

bertzander
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hey

I received the following email yesterday, sent to the email address used for registering my Dropbox account:

Hi [first name]

[6-digit code] is your one-time Dropbox security code.

Happy Dropboxing!
- The Dropbox Team

However, 2-factor authorization is turned off for my account. I just checked it again, 2FA was, and still is, disabled.

A cursory glance at the source suggests the email was sent by Dropbox. I know sender addresses can be spoofed, but the URL in the email was the real one, so I don't see a reason to believe it's a scam/phishing mail.

My question is then:

Are there any other cases (other than on accounts with 2FA enabled) when Dropbox would send a one-time security code by email?

22 Replies 22

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey there (@UMFClass2019), please accept my apologies for the slight delay in getting back in touch with you. I’m just checking back on progress on the matter, have you been able to resolve this concern on your end? 

If you still need assistance, please do let me know on this discussion here & I’ll make sure to get back in touch with you on my end (i.e. via email), as we’ll need some sensitive account-specific info to further address this inquiry. Thanks in advance for the time you're devoting on that & I’m wishing you a fruitful & creative New Year ahead! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

clayton v.
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Sunday to Wednesday is not a "slight delay"- you are not a serious infrastructure enterprise if a holiday keeps you from servicing your customers. And you will never displace Google Drive if you strand people like this college student.

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey there (@clayton v.), we aim to provide all Dropbox users the best experience possible & we're delegating our duties to our colleagues during our absence. While the Community & all other support channels have been fully active during the holidays, there are some instances where being assigned thread “ownership” on our Forum could result in a bit of a delay on our end when we’re out of office (though this isn't an expected occurrence in the regular course of operations)

That said, since I understand that you may need some assistance, I checked for your profile’s history & I can see that you’re currently in an open discussion with Walter (& I can also see that he reached out to you yesterday via our Official Support channel). As it’s best for us to keep all details in one thread (per our Community Guidelines) , I’d encourage you to either reply on the email my colleague has created on your behalf or let them know on your ongoing conversation in case you need further assistance. I hope that your additional concerns get addressed soon!

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Need more support?