cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

transferring folder ownership

transferring folder ownership

Kimberly4
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Is there a way to transfer ownership of files after the owner has left the group if you don't have access to the original owner's email or log-in info? 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Kimberly4
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I do. They actually have not even left yet but they keep ignoring my requests to transfer ownership. I am trying to anticipate the challanges we will run into if she never responds and just leaves (which looks to be the direction we're heading). 

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

No. The owner of a folder needs to transfer ownership before they leave the folder. You'll need to create a new share, copy or move the files into it and re-invite anyone that needs access.

Kimberly4
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thanks, Rich. Do we lose anything if they don't transfer ownership? 

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

You don't lose what you already have, but you also don't gain anything. You can't change share permissions, and if the folder was previously set to not allow editors the ability to invite new members, you're stuck with what you have.

You said you don't have access to their account. Do you still have access to the person? After re-reading the help article on this, you might try to contact them and see if they can add the folder back to their account. If they can, they can transfer ownership then leave it again.

Kimberly4
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I do. They actually have not even left yet but they keep ignoring my requests to transfer ownership. I am trying to anticipate the challanges we will run into if she never responds and just leaves (which looks to be the direction we're heading). 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Kimberly4 New member | Level 2
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?