cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Known issues updated. Learn more

March contest: Post your Paper workflow to win a Dropbox t-shirt and tote bag!

no

Highlighted

Can I restore shared files & folders that appear to have been removed from my account?

Level 2

My ex wife and I have separate Dropbox accounts. I shared many files and folders in the past with her that seem to be gone now. She moved them.

Am I able to restore these files?

1 Reply

Re: Shared Folders

Dropboxer
Hey there (@ReconScout25), there are a few things coming into play however rest assured that I’m here to guide you with the restoration on my end as much as I can; thanks for checking in with us! 

For starters, let me quickly clarify that if you were the shared folder owner & your ex-wife merely moved it, this shouldn’t affect your access & permissions however if she’s moved the files outside the share (eg. on her desktop), this is perceived by Dropbox as a deletion. To determine what happened, please have a look at these pointers below: 

Spoiler
  • Have you tried looking up some example file/ folder names on the Search box  🔍 on the top-right hand corner of your Account incidentally? (Note: I’m merely asking, as your files may still be stored elsewhere on your Account, so you should be able to access them normally.)
  • In case your files were located inside a shared folder, maybe you’ve left the Share dividers, which you can add back on your Sharing tab. 
  • It would be worth mentioning that you could search on your Deleted Files page for recent deletions. Would you mind having a look there whenever you get a chance? What do you see there? Did you recently notice the deletion on your end perchance? 
Please do let me know of your findings & I’ll make sure to check back with you with the best next steps asap. Thanks again!

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Missing files and folders

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Can I restore shared files & folders that appear to have been removed from my account?
1 Reply
0 Likes
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post