cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't open my own files from the desktop folder

Can't open my own files from the desktop folder

arosko
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I have had major headaches with the Dropbox desktop app ever since installing it. In particular, the Dropbox app running in the background has caused my computer and my Internet connection to freeze many times. It even prevented the Windows Task Manager from loading properly so I couldn't kill the Dropbox process--yet when I did after many tries, the computer *immediately* became responsive again. Therefore, I have prohibited any processes having to do with Dropbox from running automatically on startup.

I assumed that this would reduce the Dropbox folder to a mere normal Windows folder, i.e. an unshared local folder that has my own local files in it but no access to files shared by others. However, I can no longer open even my own files that were created on this computer and never edited or used by anyone else. Even if I copy them to my desktop, which has nothing to do with Dropbox (obviously), if I try to open them I get an error about Dropbox.

Naturally, not only am I concerned with accessing the files now (I assume I can restart the process and open them), but I'm concerned that when I am no longer connected to my employer's Dropbox account (my work with them ends at the end of May), that files that I believe I own will go randomly missing and be irretrievable. I obviously wouldn't be disappointed OR surprised to not be able to open others' synced files at that point, but I'd obviously like to have my own work saved for future reference.

What is happening here? Is the Dropbox folder not in fact a "real" folder?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Sanchez
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @arosko, welcome to our community! 

What exactly is the error message? 

If you believe that our app is causing these issues, then we need to make sure that you’re running a fully updated, stable, and supported operating system, and the latest stable version of our desktop app (48.4.58). 

If all the above are in check, then I would suggest that you exit our desktop app properly, from the icon in the system tray, instead of killing processes in the task manager. 

If your files are still not accessible, then I would check to see if you’re using Smart SyncThe local Dropbox folder is indeed a real folder, but it’s content may not be all local. If your files are Smart Synced, they’re not actually on your computer. They will be synced/downloaded once you access them. So if you’ve severed the link between your computer and these files online, they will not open.

Your team’s admin can set a default Smart Sync setting, so you may want to check with them before you change this. 

Have a look at all of the above, and if you continue to experience this issue, by all means get in touch with our support team. Alternatively, I’ll be happy to open a ticket for you, using the email address associated with your forum profile, so let me know. 

Cheers! 

Sanchez
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: What do you think about the Community? Fill out our survey here!

View solution in original post

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
I agree with the tips relayed above by Sanchez & The4anoni, though I’d also like to point you towards a slightly different direction, since you’ve mentioned that:

Even if I copy them to my desktop, which has nothing to do with Dropbox (obviously), if I try to open them I get an error about Dropbox.

which to my mind is an issue pertaining specifically to your OS. In other words, if you’re unable to access your files normally even after quitting all Dropbox-related processes (either via the Task Manager or by unlinking your Dropbox account), you may have to check how many files you’ve stored in the Dropbox folder, as this affects the application’s performance. 

You may keep in mind that the performance of the Dropbox desktop app can decline if you have more than 300,000 files synced to your computer. 

To move forward on this matter, you could utilize Smart Sync as Sanchez suggested above (in case you’re working on  a Dropbox Business or Professional account), though you could also have a look at our Selective Sync feature, which lets you choose the folders that’ll be synced to your computer. 

Hopefully this info will shed some more light on the behavior, though please keep us updated here on how these tips work for you, in order to follow-up with you more closely. Thanks again for your detailed post & I’ll be awaiting your next message on this discussion! 

Jane
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Sanchez
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @arosko, welcome to our community! 

What exactly is the error message? 

If you believe that our app is causing these issues, then we need to make sure that you’re running a fully updated, stable, and supported operating system, and the latest stable version of our desktop app (48.4.58). 

If all the above are in check, then I would suggest that you exit our desktop app properly, from the icon in the system tray, instead of killing processes in the task manager. 

If your files are still not accessible, then I would check to see if you’re using Smart SyncThe local Dropbox folder is indeed a real folder, but it’s content may not be all local. If your files are Smart Synced, they’re not actually on your computer. They will be synced/downloaded once you access them. So if you’ve severed the link between your computer and these files online, they will not open.

Your team’s admin can set a default Smart Sync setting, so you may want to check with them before you change this. 

Have a look at all of the above, and if you continue to experience this issue, by all means get in touch with our support team. Alternatively, I’ll be happy to open a ticket for you, using the email address associated with your forum profile, so let me know. 

Cheers! 

Sanchez
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: What do you think about the Community? Fill out our survey here!

The4anoni
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
Hey @arosko
When did you clean installed Windows ?
If more than year ago then consider making clean install

The4anoni

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
I agree with the tips relayed above by Sanchez & The4anoni, though I’d also like to point you towards a slightly different direction, since you’ve mentioned that:

Even if I copy them to my desktop, which has nothing to do with Dropbox (obviously), if I try to open them I get an error about Dropbox.

which to my mind is an issue pertaining specifically to your OS. In other words, if you’re unable to access your files normally even after quitting all Dropbox-related processes (either via the Task Manager or by unlinking your Dropbox account), you may have to check how many files you’ve stored in the Dropbox folder, as this affects the application’s performance. 

You may keep in mind that the performance of the Dropbox desktop app can decline if you have more than 300,000 files synced to your computer. 

To move forward on this matter, you could utilize Smart Sync as Sanchez suggested above (in case you’re working on  a Dropbox Business or Professional account), though you could also have a look at our Selective Sync feature, which lets you choose the folders that’ll be synced to your computer. 

Hopefully this info will shed some more light on the behavior, though please keep us updated here on how these tips work for you, in order to follow-up with you more closely. Thanks again for your detailed post & I’ll be awaiting your next message on this discussion! 

Jane
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

ertaylor200
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

These suggestions do not help. It is so frustrating that I think I will delete my dropbox files since I cannot get to them. If I have to run it in the background, then it takes too long to run my computer.  I cannot even download them once I am on Word online, as it automatically saves them back to dropbox. I am so frustratedand will rely on other cloud software.  I have used this so long, but now it suddenly creates more havoc that it is worth.

Jeremy H.2
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I am having issues as well.  Never had any problems before opening files so it is on Dropboxes end!  These files are highly important and if this is not resolved soon I will be forced to use someone else.  I have over 85,000 files and can't open a lot of them.  

" We couldn't open that file. Rename the file to use a shorter name or copy it to a different folder with a shorter path"

Tried both options and still nothing.... Sometimes if I drag the file to my desktop it will open then I am unable to put the file back where I need it!  Even if a rename the file with even 2 characters it still does not work.  Please help.

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey there @Jeremy H.2; sorry to hear you're having issues with this.

Could you send us a screenshot of the exact error you get so that we can have a visual too?

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Qamarsky
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I have the same problem. I am running MacOS Catalina, and dropbox 121.3.4266. I use selective sync. The problem comes when I try to open a file that is not synced to my desktop, but only to the cloud. Whenever I try to do this, the application that is trying to open it will freeze and become non-responsive.

When I look at the dropbox icon in my tray, it says "Trying to reconnect." 

Another problem which I'm not sure is related or not, is that my files do not seem to sync. The icon in the tray will read "syncing 45 files, 2 hours remaining" but nothing changes and it will display the same message until I kill it, and re-open. Then, and only then, will some of the files that have been syncing appear on my desktop.

This has only recently become a problem, but it is seriously impeding my ability to use my files. 

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @Qamarsky, thanks for joining our discussion here and sorry to here you're having issues with our desktop app. 

It looks like you're running a beta version of the app and as those are still in the testing process, you could notice some issues or an inconsistent experience. Could you check if using the latest, stable version helps improve matters?

To do so, first, toggle off the 'early releases' from your account's settings online. Then, download and install the desktop app from this page.

Let me know how it goes!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Qamarsky
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

That seems to have fixed it, I can't thank you enough! This will massively improve my productivity.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropbox Staff
    Qamarsky Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?