Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

Highlighted

Custom folder icons vanish when folder moved into DB

Level 4

Beginning on about 2/19 all custom folder icons ( folders in DB )disappeared and reverted to default icons. I tried to recopy and paste but it didn't work.

After much experimenting, I found this problem only occurs to folders in my Dropbox.

That is if I create a folder on my desktop (not in DB) and give it a custom icon.  All is well.  When I move the folder into DB the custom icon vanishes and reverts to the default icon.  

I cannot paste a custom icon to a folder which is in DB, but if I darg folder out I can give it a custom icon.  Once it goes into DB it is gone.

Help please.

Bill

18 Replies

Re: Custom folder icons vanish when folder moved into DB

Level 4

here is link to QT movie demonstrating the problem.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mjh497cf91ovvae/custom%20icon%20DB%20issue.mov?dl=0

Dropboxer
Thanks for the detailed post, @William B.1 !

Although the Dropbox folder is just like any other folder on your computer (but with syncing capabilities), currently, syncing customized icons is not an option, so as to avoid any inconsistencies and errors. 

In any case, I’d be more than happy to pass your comments along to the dev team for future consideration. 

I was also able to find your request from my end and have made sure to reply to you via email. If you have any further inquiries regarding this, please don’t hesitate to get back to me through the email chain. 

Cheers! grinning face with smiling eyes

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Level 4

I am confused. This has worked for years and only stopped working this week. 

Dropboxer
Hey @cfront!

Out of curiosity, could you please ensure that you’re running the stable version of the desktop app (67.4.83) by hovering over the Dropbox icon that’s next to your desktop's clock?

Please remember that a beta version can be recognized by a xx.3.xx, instead of the xx.4.xx, so if youre on a beta build, it means that you have opted in to Early Releases in your online account settings.

Let me know how it goes and if you’re still having trouble with this, we can always move this discussion to email so as to have a more in-depth look into the matter. slightly smiling face

Lusil

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Level 4

That worked. I didn't even remember signing up for the early releases. Thank you for the quick response! 

Dropboxer
No worries, @cfront! Glad I could help. 

If you have any other questions in the future, don’t hesitate to get back to me and, in the meantime, have a wonderful day ahead!

Lusil

Level 2

hi lusil - i'm running 70.4.93 on a mac and having the same issue. i've used custom icons for years without problems.

Dropboxer
Hi @thomas b.12, sorry to hear that.

If you’re referring to custom icons syncing from one computer to another, could you ensure that both devices are running the latest stable version (70.4.93) too? 

If you are, I’d recommend moving this discussion to email, in which case I can send you a ticket directly to the email address associated with your Community profile. 

Let me know what you find!

Lusil

Level 2

it's not about custom icons syncing between computers. they never synced across computers, but i could make custom icons for folders located in Dropbox. i cannot do that as of a few weeks ago. they stopped showing custom icons and now i can no longer create them for any folder in dropbox. i can make custom icons on folders on my mac outside of dropbox. regardless, i made sure my laptop and desktop are both running the 70.4.93 version. please send an email ticket if you think that's appropriate. thanks.

Missing files and folders

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Custom folder icons vanish when folder moved into DB
18 Replies
6 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post