cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox appears to save, but file is missing

Dropbox appears to save, but file is missing

ClareBear89
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I'm having trouble with saving a few files to Dropbox. It's installed on my PC. I create the file and save it in my Dropbox file, as I have done for the last few years I've used Dropbox. 

When I open my files, the new Dropbox files are not appearing. My old files are still there, but the new ones I just saved are not there. 

I reopened both Word and PowerPoint (I used both programs to create recent documents) and resaved teh files. It even asked me if I wanted to replace my copy of the file, so the computer thinks it was already saved. 

But once I go to open the file in the folder, the file is not there. I feel like I'm losing my mind. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

ClareBear89
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I closed the Dropbox application, restarted the computer, and everything seems to be working normally. I created and saved a new file to dropbox, and it saved appropriately with no phantom folders being created anywhere else. So I guess the problem is solved (Thank you!!!), but I just wish I knew what caused the problem in the first place!

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi Clare, if the files are saving in the Dropbox folder on your PC, but they’re not appearing online, then it means that the desktop app isn’t syncing.

Could you confirm the version of the Dropbox desktop application you're running? 

You can do this by hovering your mouse over the Dropbox icon in the system tray or menu bar. It should say something like 53.4. 

Also, does it state ‘syncing’, ‘up to date’ or any other messages?

Keep me posted!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

ClareBear89
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hi Jay,

This is the confusing part. I can't see the files on my PC either. I can't reopen the file unless I right click on Word or PowerPoint and open a recent file. But I can't find the file listed anywhere on my PC, even though it's somehow saved. The version I'm using is 53.4.67. 

What's also weird is that I can copy and paste into Dropbox on my computer. I just can't save directly from an Office program. 

ClareBear89
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Okay I believe I've solved part of the problem. I had an inactive Dropbox folder in "My Documents" where I was saving my files. I deleted that inactive folder, resaved the documents in the actual active Dropbox folders, and that seems to have fixed the problem. So I have a new question here....Why the heck is dropbox creating inactive phantom folders? After I successfully saved teh file to Dropbox, I noticed a new, inactive dropbox folder was created in "My Documents." What is going on?

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Thanks for the update.

The Dropbox desktop application shouldn’t be creating any new folders outside of the Dropbox folder.

My assumption is that Word or Powerpoint is doing it somehow (perhaps that was where the recent files were located), since it happened when you saved the file in the Dropbox folder, or there could be another app that is doing so.

Does this only happen when you save files from the Office apps, or does it occur when saving any files from other apps?

Could you try temporarily closing the Dropbox desktop application from the system tray (by clicking it once, then the gear icon, and Quit) and save a file again to see if this happens once more? Thanks!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

ClareBear89
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I closed the Dropbox application, restarted the computer, and everything seems to be working normally. I created and saved a new file to dropbox, and it saved appropriately with no phantom folders being created anywhere else. So I guess the problem is solved (Thank you!!!), but I just wish I knew what caused the problem in the first place!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

ClareBear89 Helpful | Level 5
    Jay Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?