Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

no

Highlighted

Dropbox files being deleted by Dropbox

Level 3

My Dropbox just began to delete files all by itself. I went into Dropbox application and restored one file and since then it seems to have stopped but I am worried that what I am relying on for my files will let me down and that will be disastrous.  Please help.

4 Replies

Re: Dropbox files being deleted by Dropbox

Super User II

Dropbox can't delete your files without being told to do so. It's simply not capable of doing that. If your files are being deleted, then either you, another process on your computer or another person with access (for instance, in a shared folder) is deleting them.

Restore one of the deleted files, then look at its version history. It should tell you where the deletion is occuring.

Level 3

I have restored one of the deleted files and I’m not sure how I got this other screen open alongside the Dropbox files but the top line shows Elements, console, Sources and Network? Where do I find version History please?

Super User II

How did you restore the file? The options you list don't sound like anything from Dropbox. You need to restore the file using the Dropbox website. The link I provided above describes how to view the version history.

Level 3
I did restore a couple via Dropbox method but those files were still showing in the deleted list even after I restored them. Weird? I ended up deleting the Dropbox app on my iPad because as soon as I reopened it there, I could see notifications flicking across my Mac screen showing more files being deleted. As soon as I deleted the app the notifications stopped.
Missing files and folders

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Dropbox files being deleted by Dropbox
4 Replies
0 Likes
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post