cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox ideas

Got an idea for Dropbox? We want to hear it. Our team will review the top voted ideas, so share them here!

Got an idea for Dropbox? We want to hear it. Our team will review the top voted ideas, so share them here!

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can we have an option to lock files we're working on to avoid conflicted copies?

Can we have an option to lock files we're working on to avoid conflicted copies?

Angie O.
New member | Level 1

My business partner and I (often working from different locations) are constantly working on the same documents and trying to save our work at the same time. Result: lots of conflicted copies of files. I would love to have something in the Dropbox UI that allows us to see if another person is working on the file or has the file open. It would save us a lot of FLAME texting. We love each other but this is one thing that makes us want to kill each other.

Latest Update
Nancy
Dropbox Staff

This idea has been closed as it has reached the end of the Share an Idea process.

You can find out more about this feature here and get support or provide feedback in Help from the Community.

Thank you for your suggestion, and if you have another idea to share, please do!

Status changed to: Closed
54 Comments
Mark
Super User II

Dropbox dont release roadmaps I'm afraid Simon - although they do give some big announcements out at their Open events. However, as they've not mentioned this (and I imagine it would be quite a 'big' announcement) I cant see it happening anytime soon (if at all) to be honest. 

Sorry. 

Kristina C.2
New member | Level 1

I have the badge and it shows "Edited by X user Y mins ago." Doesn't tell me if he's still in the file making other changes or not.  I went into a file and it didn't say anything or show anyone in the file. I started making changes just to get a message that X user saved changes and do I want the new version.  Yes, it saved my changes to another file but now I have to wait, go in, and combine the files at some point.  It would have been MUCH easier if it had just told me "X user is in this file and you have read only access until he's done." I could have worked on something else while he was in the file and made my changes once instead of twice.

Andrew G.46
New member | Level 1

This feature is needed for more than office files. Other shared files such as custom databases need to be locked to one user from time-to-time. Might even be nice to have this as a feature of the API so developed applications can set this for its own files.

Mendix I.
New member | Level 1

Hello Mark,

Can you tell us when the Check-out option will be coming? We urgently need it 🙂

Mark
Super User II

Its been out quite awhile now, look for the Dropbox Badge. 

Note, however, it only works on Office documents and when both people are connected to the internet at the same time

Rich
Super User II

And it's not a true check out feature. It just shows you that someone else has the file open. It will not prevent someone from making changes to a file that someone else has open.

Mendix I.
New member | Level 1

Okay so that's why I didn't find the check-out option 🙂

In my opinion this is not a check-out as check-out means that a file will be changed in read-only mode for other users.

23W
Helpful | Level 5

Would be cool, if such feature was in API for all file type.

Tom V
Collaborator | Level 8

I manage an online historic archive for a local historical society. We have many documents, pictures, etc., posted in a Dropbox account, and provide links for all who desire.

I'm concerned that one of us (me or one of the volunteers who has access to the account/collection) might someday inadvertently delete or change something. I would like a way to put a lock on the collection which prevents changes unless a person consciously unlocks it to make intended changes.

Does Dropbox have such a tool? If not, do you know of a way to do this through Windows or some add-on utility program?

Mark
Super User II

It doesnt I'm afraid.

The best thing I can suggest is to have a total separate backup of all data. That way software failure cannot become an issue!

[This thread is now closed. If you have a similar or new question, you can ask here]
Vote for this idea

Like this idea? Vote for it and we will give it the attention it deserves!

19 votes received