cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Known issues - updated July 19th see more

Files Deleting... But no Events, No Deleted Files, No Idea how much was deleted in last 2 hours

4 Comments
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 3

Files Deleting... But no Events, No Deleted Files, No Idea how much was deleted in last 2 hours

Hello,

We cloned one of our laptops to a new laptop this evening. We Cloned the system to the C Drive. Dropbox on our laptops is kept on the D drive. When the cloned laptop came online Dropbox said it was synching, then said downloading 36k files. 90 minutes later the Dropbox folder on the D drive was still empty. But not the Dropbox Icon said it was uploading 111k files. 

When I went and checked one of our other computers on the same Dropbox I discovered the other computers on this Dropbox Account say they are downloading files, but in fact are deleting. 

When I log into my account, under deleted files, nothing comes up. The icon just spins and spins. 

Under the Events - the same thing, nothing comes up but the icon in the middle of the page just goes round and round.

If I drill through my files, I can see the files are there and listed as deleted. However, some show as deleted and are still on some of the computers, and some files are not. 

We purchased the Business Plan with the extended Save several months ago. 

I basically need someone to be able to restore all files deleted in the past 4 hours (as of this writing). But there is no support available, and I can't submit a support request because I can't get an Event ID for them. 

Really frustrated. We are currently missing over 100gigs of Data, but with 700gigs on Dropbox in 1000's of folders, trying to find them one at a time is never going to happen. We took the cloned computer offline for the time being. I need to know if we need to clone the Dropbox folder onto that computer, or what to do so this doesn't start over when that computer goes back online

Thank you to whomever can save our TUSH!!

Dave 

Tags (2)
4 Replies
Super User II

Re: Files Deleting... But no Events, No Deleted Files, No Idea how much was deleted in last 2 hours

Hi Dave,

Have you allowed time for the Dropbox to update and complete everything to a green tick? It may be that its deleting things to move it to a new folder and so it will re-appear soon.

PenguinPenguin - Penguin - Penguin - Penguin

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Level 3

Re: Files Deleting... But no Events, No Deleted Files, No Idea how much was deleted in last 2 hours

Mark, 

Thank you for responding. It's been about 10 hours. It appears that about 450 gigs of Dropbox data has been removed. 

After 10 hours, nothing is green anywhere. I still cannot get an events list for July 13 or July 14 to appear. I still cannot get the Deleted Files web page to populate. 

We went into "My Files" last night and were able to click "Show Deleted" and restored a folder. But since that doesn't Restore everything under the folder it's almost impossible when the subfolders could have 1000's of files that need to be restored one at a time. And this method doesn't tell us when anything was deleted, so now we don't know if what we are restoring is something current or old. 

Very Very Very Upsetting. 

Thank you for taking the time to post. 

Dave 

Super User II

As much as I hate to say it I think you are going to need to wait it out to finish what its doing - trying to restore things etc. now is going to cause you more issues.

Once its all settled you should find EITHER its at the point of actually its all fine and its a false alarm, or, its not and an event log is generated - they dont happen till everything is 'done'.

PenguinPenguin - Penguin - Penguin - Penguin

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Level 3

After 48 hours 3 events finally appeared in the events list. We clicked restore. 15 hours later the clients say they are synched and updated. However, there are files missing.

When we go back to events, now we can't see any events again. When we go to deleted files, nothing appears. If we pick a specific folder it sometimes populates with files, but doesn't show any files as being deleted since MARCH of 2018.
When I go to MY Files, and goto the same specific folder, it shows deleted files and will let me restore them (And they do restore).

I just spent 75 minutes with chat support. They couldn't/didn't do anything. They sent me links to 3 restore events. But the events are just lists of file names - Doesn't say how many files in an event. Lists a file name, but doesn't say where the file was located, and doesn't say when the file was deleted.

The refused to escalate my case. Instead they have to switch to email.

I am so disgusted that after waiting all weekend to try to get my data, that they refuse to help resolve the issue in a timely manner. Now I have to wait for them to get back to me in an unknown time frame.

Dave
Still stuck? Contact Support directly, or ask a question on the community.
Still stuck?
Top Contributors
Rich 4933
Mark 3902
Jane 1121
Greg K. 830
Tom_M 886