cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Files have been deleted, are not in the trash bin or registered in events

Files have been deleted, are not in the trash bin or registered in events

emy_l
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Files have been deleted, are not in the bin or registered in events. I have asked for help by chat, mail and twitter without answers. I'm desperate, the files that have been deleted are not in the trash, they can not be restored. Check in Events and it is not registered either.

This happened from one moment to another, I did not find a way to recover anything and the support team did not respond. These files are really delicate because we use dropbox as a temporary backup to change the backup hard disks.
It has been disappointing and we have lost respect to dropbox ... I do not know what we can do, that's why I am writing to you.

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

310EI
Super User
Go to solution

@emy_l wrote:

You do not know how grateful I am for the support!

Have an excellent week

Hello, @emy_l...

I'm glad that I could help you to know that you're not alone :nerd:

Losing irreplaceable data is something I deal with often in my profession.  I may suffer from OCD when I'm on a quest to teach our client's to safeguard their data as much as possible (using multiple methods).

Please keep in mind that I use Dropbox daily because it offers a multitude of fantastic features (eg: sharing collaboration folders, Teams, smart sync, paper, multiple device syncing, etc).  However, I use an off-site backup service to help protect our data and I recommend it to other people (eg: CrashPlan, iDrive, etc).  In addition, we use encrypted external backup devices.

For future reference, I believe that you should implement several alternative methods to keep your data safe from different threats (eg: theft, fire, hard drive failure, malware or ransomware).

Thank you... try to have a pleasant week as well.

View solution in original post

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Ah, thanks for keeping us in the loop, happy to hear that you can now access your files! :dividers:

Feel free to review our latest correspondence at your convenience (as I understand that you may also need to spend some time with your family these days) &, should you experience further issues, you may refer back to your email communication. 

As for the time being, I’ll accept  310EI ‘s latest reply as a solution, since this points us towards the right direction. 

Once again, I’d like to remind you that we’re just a post away in case you’d like to share your thoughts in the future or experience further issues. Until then, take care & have an amazing day/ rest of your day! :slight_smile:

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

emy_l
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Thanks to both, honestly without the answer in time of @310EI would have given me a collapse. It was important to understand that the files are not deleted and that we were on weekends, outside of working hours. That gave me some strength to wait until Monday. Then on Monday everything flowed. Thanks again @Jane for support and solidarity.   Hug to you and have an excellent week, full positive and full of good energy.

:grin::grimacing::grimacing::white_check_mark::white_check_mark:

25 Replies 25

310EI
Super User
Go to solution

Hello, @emy_l...

You didn't specify what type of account you use (eg: BasicIndividual or Team).

It's important for you to understand that Dropbox does not delete your files, even if you go over your storage limit, nothing is deleted.  If that happens, syncing simply stops and will resume once you bring your account back under its storage limit.

Keep in mind that if you share collaborative folders and someone deletes the files in those shared folders, then they will be removed from your account.

ATTENTION:  You can recover deleted files but that's only available for 30-days unless you have a Pro or Dropbox Business account (120-days).  However, if the other people that you share a folder with inadvertently deletes your files and you don't login to your Dropbox account until the 31st day then your folders/files are permanently removed from Dropbox's servers.

Take a look in the deleted files section to see if your deletions appear in that area.

I'm listing the Help Center articles below for your convenience, this way you can read them at your leisure.

HELP CENTER ARTICLES:

310EI
Super User
Go to solution

@emy_l wrote:

I have asked for help by chat, mail and twitter without answers.

I did not find a way to recover anything and the support team did not respond.

Hello...

I sympathize with your situation... below are some guidelines for contacting support.

Phone support is available to Dropbox Business customers, your administrator can give the phone number and required PIN to you.  Basic and Plus accounts use the ticket system.

1. Submit a help request.
  2. Afterwards, you can track your ticket.

Replies usually take 1 to 3 business days with Plus and Pro users getting priority (longer for basic members).

PLEASE BE AWARE:

Do not submit more than one ticket for your particular problem.  Doing so will force your ticket to the end of the queue again which is counter-productive.

emy_l
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Thank you for responding, I have dropbox business but I do not see a phone number, I only had the opportunity to chat and the chat was immediately impeded. I only have 2 responses after the "wait" chat that was on Thursday.

Seeing the lack of communication and the importance of the situation, I have made the mistake of sending more than one message.

-I have tried all the ways to recover the files, in events no record appears to have been deleted.

-There are no files in deleted files. This I wake up on Thursday morning, tomorrow is Sunday, and there will be 4 days of this problem.

-It is not possible to restore to a past time, it does not give me the option

-I try to access the dropbox support account to make a ticket, I'm not allowed either.

I greatly appreciate the time it has taken to answer you, but I can not locate the solution, I only have the option of email, chat, twitter and community. I have used them all. Since Thursday there has been no communication.

I'm quite desperate with this, I appreciate the support very much.

emy_l
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
Thank you very much, I did not know that I had to create a support dropbox account, I see that I have 2 open tickets. I have no answers but at least I see the tickets.

310EI
Super User
Go to solution

@emy_l wrote:
Thank you very much, I did not know that I had to create a support dropbox account, I see that I have 2 open tickets. I have no answers but at least I see the tickets.

Hello, @emy_l...

You're welcome.

If you post the ticket numbers here then I'll forward them to a Dropboxer (employee).  Don't expect a response today since they usually respond during business hours Monday through Friday.

310EI
Super User
Go to solution

@emy_l wrote:

Thank you for responding, I have dropbox business but I do not see a phone number,

I'm quite desperate with this, I appreciate the support very much.

Hello, @emy_l...

No worries, you're welcome.

Phone support is available for Advanced Team users but not Standard (view Support options available towards the bottom).  However, if you're an Advanced Team user and don't see a number, then possibly it's because you're not the Admin for the account.

I wholeheartedly understand your desperation.  As I mentioned in my previous response, please post your ticket numbers here so I can forward them to a Dropbox Staff Member to review.

You'll have to be a patient a bit longer for Dropbox to tackle your situation during their business hours.

emy_l
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
You do not know how much I appreciate your support.

I have two open tickets:
1- Dropbox support chat
# 7758638 3 days ago 1 day ago
2- TEAMS: Recover files
# 7763651 21 hours ago 21 hours ago

emy_l
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
Thanks again, but if I'm an account manager, that's what I think is weird

310EI
Super User
Go to solution

@emy_l wrote:
You do not know how much I appreciate your support.
I have two open tickets:
1- Dropbox support chat
# 7758638 3 days ago 1 day ago
2- TEAMS: Recover files
# 7763651 21 hours ago 21 hours ago

Hello, @emy_l...

You're welcome although my help for you is limited.

I forwarded those numbers to a Dropboxer for review (during their normal business hours).

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

310EI Super User
    emy_l Helpful | Level 6
    Jane Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?