cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Folders/Files missing after new computer switch mishap...

3 Comments
1 Kudo
Highlighted
Level 4

Folders/Files missing after new computer switch mishap...

While doing a new dropbox install on a new computer on a mac, that defaulted the dropbox location to the user "Documents" folder, I was trying to figure out how to move the folder to the desktop location. I did not see an option and thought perhaps it could simply be dragged (i should have known better).

I did so before syc was complete, and of course dropbox created another folder on the fly in Documents and continued (or started anew?) syncing.

I thought nothing of it and let it finish syncing, and tossed the old dropbox folder I dragged to the desktop in the trash and deleted figuring it was not synced/linked. After the new dropbox folder was done, i moved it to the desktop location the correct way using preferences.

Now, after a complete syc, it seems I'm missing half my files/folders, which is also being mirrored on a 2nd computer too under the same account.

I went to online account, and view deleted files, and sure enough found the first folder that is missing as "deleted" status....???

Would the unsynced/unlinked dropbox folder that I dragged out and trashed do this?? I would bet it "continued" to syc and those files are as good as "removed/deleted"...???

But here is what's very odd...my 1password vault is located in one of the dropbox folders that is missing...and 1password apparently can still find the vault file...????? So is it really deleted??? So I'm confused.

I am holding steady and not doing anything, until I'm sure I know what's happeneing.

I was hoping I could just revert to yesterdays status on dropbox account. I could do it using time machine but the 1password thing is freaking me out. I do have a backup dropbox folder on the old offline computer.

Any ideas please???

Thx in advance!

3 Replies
Dropboxer

Re: Folders/Files missing after new computer switch mishap...

@fabricwonder, welcome to our community! 

Well, I’ll be straight with you: this is kind of a pickle face with open mouth, and I’m glad that you are in a holding pattern here. That’s a smart move!

Yeah, moving files out of the Dropbox folder will show as deletions. 

I don’t know how 1password works, so I can’t help with that. If I were in your shoes, I would try searching for the vault folder by searching the entire computer. This may also lead to clues as what s going on. 

So, what do we do now? Well, I’m glad to hear that you have a full backup locally. We of course can recover your files for you too. If you aren’t able to recover/find all your goodies, or if you’re not sure if you’ve got everything, it may be best to have our team restore your Dropbox for you.  
You say you checked the Deleted files page, but did you check the Events page? Here, if you find mass deletions from all that has happened, you can restore them too. 

If it were me, I would let our guys do a full account rollback, just to make sure I hadn’t missed something, and to get it all back to a position where I could start fresh winking face

Have a look at all this, and let me know when you can. 
Thanks

Did you find my post helpful? If it answers your question, please mark 'Accept as Solution" below so other users can find it quickly!
slightly smiling face

Level 4

Yes, I did a careful folder by folder backup from Time Machine. It seems I lost share privilages, as others could still see the my missing folder...and even my 1password could still access the hidden vault folder. At this point it seems worse case I may have lost some external share settings, as a few folder icons do not show a sharing icon...but will see in the future if there are any issues worse the that.

Thx for your help!

Super User II

Hi Fabricwonder,

For share settings can you try and rejoin them at www.dropbox.com/share?

PenguinPenguin - Penguin - Penguin - Penguin

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible!