cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I recover an unsaved file?

How can I recover an unsaved file?

epaez
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I forgot to save a word file while using Dropbox and I'm trying to recover that unsaved file. can anyone help me, please?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey there @epaez  - how are you today?

Can you please let me know if you can see any edits of this file logged under your Events page

Could you also check the file's version history to see if there were any edits saved in Dropbox recently?

If these suggestions aren't helpful in your case, I'm afraid those files are nowhere to be recovered from (on our side at least). 

Let me know what you find!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey there @epaez  - how are you today?

Can you please let me know if you can see any edits of this file logged under your Events page

Could you also check the file's version history to see if there were any edits saved in Dropbox recently?

If these suggestions aren't helpful in your case, I'm afraid those files are nowhere to be recovered from (on our side at least). 

Let me know what you find!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

epaez
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

It is not under events page nor file's version history. 

Thank you for your time. 

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

It might worth checking with Microsoft Word's forum as well in this case (assuming that you were using Microsoft Word to edit the file in question) @epaez! Depending on your device's OS and the Word's version as well, there might be something you could do to retrieve this unsaved document - I'd suggest using an internet search for more information on this. 

I wish I could help more than this :slight_frown:

Walter
dropbox.com/support

epaez
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

@Walter thank you for your help! 

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

No worries @epaez - have a wonderful week ahead!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Euergetes
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I am using a Mac. Hi all, in the past months I've been working on an article in Word for Mac. The docx file was on an external hard drive synced to my dropbox account, just like all my other articles. The docx was open in Word for days and I kept hitting the save icon from time to time. Autosave wasn't on apparently, but I am a little confused here because the slider was off but the checkmark was there under the 3 dots.

Yesterday as I finished writing I realized that there is a typo in the file's name. So I closed the word file (it didn't ask to save because I save by hitting the save icon). I renamed the file and I renamed the enclosing folder as well as it had the same typo. When I opened the word file to send it off, it was the version from a week ago like nothing ever happened...

Not understanding what happened, I went to Dropbox and wanted to restore the full version from Version History. Interestingly it didn't see any activity from the past 2 days except one "viewing" from March 31. As if it wasn't saving or syncing at all in the past 2 days. 

Then I started panicking, run Disk Drill for data recovery, it did find a docx, named exactly as my article that is lost but when I hit restore it just gave me the same old version. 

Does anyone understand what happened here? How come I can't find this file? How is that possible that for a week I kept hitting the save button in word and yet, word thinks that my latest version is the one from a week ago. How is that possible that Dropbox sees some interaction with the file from March 31 and sees something happening to it on the 1st, but when I hit restore it gives me the same old version, like nothing ever happened. This is turning out to be the cruelest April 1st joke ever. And I missed my deadline as well...

Any help is appreciated!Screen Shot 2022-04-02 at 08.27.28.pngScreen Shot 2022-04-02 at 08.29.34.png

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Hi @Euergetes 

For whatever reason nothing has sync'd on Dropbox between those two dates (meaning Dropbox cannot recover anything). Was Dropbox running? It sounds to me like the Mac has had issues saving.

What is www.dropbox.com/events showing?

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Euergetes
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi Mark, thanks a lot for responding! I just looked at the entire even catalog for yesterday as you suggested and it seems that you're right. No syncing of the word file happened between 03.29 and 04.01. This is why Dropbox can't find any versions. It seems that somehow dropbox sync was frozen. What I don't understand still is how can it be possible that I kept hitting save in word and yet no saving has happened. Or if it did it was overwritten when I changed the name. So I should look for the file in word. Do you know if there is any way to recover seemingly deleted data in word? Thanks if you have any suggestions. 

Best,

Krisztian

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Euergetes wrote:

Or if it did it was overwritten when I changed the name.

Rename the file back to what it was (the folder too, possibly, not sure) and THEN check the version history.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Mark Super User II
    Euergetes Explorer | Level 3
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?