cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I get access to old accounts?

How do I get access to old accounts?

amyp4317
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I am trying to find several old Dropbox accounts I no longer have the passwords to nor do I have access to the emails the account were built under. How do I locate all of my outstanding Dropbox Accounts & How do I gain access to the accounts without passwords or access to the emails the accounts were originally built with

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution
In short, you can't.

Your email address is required to access an account. If you no longer have access to the email in question and you don't know your password (or the password has expired) you can no longer gain access the account. Even if it was a paid account, all Dropbox would help you with is removing the payment method from the account so you're no longer charged. They wouldn't help you gain access to the account.

The only possibility in such a scenario is if you still have a device linked to the account and syncing, but that doesn't seem to be the case here.

View solution in original post

19 Replies 19

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution
In short, you can't.

Your email address is required to access an account. If you no longer have access to the email in question and you don't know your password (or the password has expired) you can no longer gain access the account. Even if it was a paid account, all Dropbox would help you with is removing the payment method from the account so you're no longer charged. They wouldn't help you gain access to the account.

The only possibility in such a scenario is if you still have a device linked to the account and syncing, but that doesn't seem to be the case here.

shirinkashani
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

my email address is <snip> and I have very precious files i typed in  the box since 2012.  you changed your ways and my files are gone.  at least give me a chance to empty the box and get my work of preserving my mother's diary back somewhere else please

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
Dropbox hasnt changed its ways at all.

You can deleted recover files from https://www.dropbox.com/help/security/recover-deleted-files-folders

If your account has been removed its almost certain that you cannot get the account back but you'll need to log a ticket at www.dropbox.com/support and track at http://dropbox.zendesk.com

Note, I'm also removing your email unless you want spammed.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Shiva Shankar M1
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

How to regain the files of old account if you know the email address but it was upgraded to new email address...Hope you got this issue...

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey there @Shiva Shankar M1

You mention:

@Shiva Shankar M1 wrote:

if you know the email address but it was upgraded to new email address

Could it be that you’re referring to another Dropbox account? Could it be that you’ve created a new Dropbox account with another email address? 

In any case, if you know the email address associated with the Dropbox account in question, you should be able to access it. 

If you’re still having trouble with this, due to account-specific info required to further investigate, I’d kindly recommend continuing this discussion via email by contacting our Support team.

Hope this helped to some extent!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

yeneleyu
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
i couldn't fined the answer my dropbox is blockd i can't find my email or the password pleas hellp me i can't loss the filles in it pleas

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@yeneleyu wrote:
i couldn't fined the answer my dropbox is blockd i can't find my email or the password pleas hellp me i can't loss the filles in it pleas

Blocked how? If you're just forgotten your password, you can reset it yourself as long as you still have access to the email address associated with your Dropbox account.

Carmelo palafox
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I lost my account 2 days ago.idk why.
I have this email [personal information removed as per the Community's Guidelines]
But I can't go into my account. The problem is I have in my phone diferent email. I am really need back into my account.

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @Carmelo palafox; welcome to our Community and sorry to hear you're having issues with accessing your account. 

Can you please let us know if you've tried resetting your password as Rich mentioned above and what were the results?

Thanks! 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
    Timtooly New member | Level 2
    Brian Johnston Explorer | Level 3
    Lusil Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?