cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

I have lost my files. Can you help me restore them somehow?

Level 2

I am looking for old files. It appears that my Dropbox acct. with loads of files is gone. I know I did not delete these files. If they were on my Samsung, how do I get them back and access on my laptop.

8 Replies
Highlighted

Re: lost files

Dropboxer

Hey @turtles1home,

Thanks for reaching out and sorry to hear about this. 

If you cannot find anything in your deleted files page or your events page  then I would suggest logging a ticket with our team here describing your case and let me know a ticket ID here so I can look into this for you internally from my end. 

Thanks in advance!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Level 2

I was an early adopter of Dropbox.  Finally getting off it as I type this.  Over the years, thousands of files have been lost.  I haven't been active with it in months and just looked and almost all of my folders are empty.

Now I keep reading "can't happen!" And yet a couple of times it was hundreds of random files from all levels of my folders.

And now..... it's been too long.  I can't even un-delete them from the website.

Fortunately I have a backup because I stopped trusting Dropbox a couple of years ago.  But doesn't that delete the purpose, when your 'trusted archive' is the thing you trust the least?

Final note to whoever keeps closing these appeals for help with "can't happen..  something on your PC is doing it".  OK... I disagree.  But let's say you are right.  Bottom line, it's still a problem and you are still part of it.

I had put every valuable file into Dropbox years ago thinking "thank god, a safe spot to file these where I will never lose them". Do you think I would ever trust a service again that says "not my problem" over a period of years?  No.  

Dropbox has alerted me before when thousands of random files were deleted.  Dropbox restored thousands of deleted files before.  It's not enough.  I've had 4 PCs since this started.... still I lose files. So it's not a virus.  Yet the lost files are so numerous and so random no human could delete them.  A process must do it.  

Dropbox knows when files are deleted. On a device, if the app is installed, it probably can tell what is deleting them.  How about a 2-factor delete option if more than X files are deleted?  Because otherwise this is untrustworthy, and I'm an idiot for STILL using it after so many years.  Until now, and now I am getting rid of it.

Dropboxer

Apologies for the slightly delayed reply and thank you for your feedback @dtalley2000 - I appreciate you taking the time to let me know about all of this.

Here are some items to keep in mind in attempting to determine the original cause of the deletions; should you want to that is:

1.) Check if the missing files were in a Shared Folder:

If the files were in a shared folder, and the folder seems to be gone or incomplete, check if you’re still a member of that folder. You may have left the folder, you may have been removed from the shared folder, or the owner unshared the entire folder from the group.

2.) Did your device experience any hard disk problems around the time of the deletions?

Specifically, do you remember the Dropbox application ending unexpectedly (i.e. crashing) while you were performing changes to your Dropbox? These changes could have included making changes to Shared Folders or changing your selective sync settings.

If Dropbox does not see known files when it starts, it will assume you removed them when Dropbox wasn’t running.

While most deletions occur when someone reorganizes files in a new location or moves them to their d..., remember that if these deletions occurred on your computer, Dropbox saves all files to your hard drive so accordingly any issues affecting the hard drive such as a hard drive failure or difficulty writing to the hard drive could have caused the deletions.

3.) Are you running antivirus software?

Antivirus software can occasionally quarantine files. If these files were in your Dropbox, they could have been removed and as a result show as being deleted.

4.) Are you running any programs that modify files in your Home folder, which usually includes the Dropbox folder? Some audio and image management software programs do this.

5.) Are there multiple linked computers with the same name?

Perhaps you gave your computer to a friend or colleague, who then deleted files. If this computer has the same name as your new computer, you might not realize a second computer is involved (yes, this does happen). If the computer is linked to your account, then you can see the last used IP address for it on your Security page.

6.) Is your Dropbox in any way pointing towards a non-local disk source such as a network drive or an external drive?

If the drive is ever disconnected from the computer while Dropbox is running there is a small chance that the Dropbox software will start deleting files before realizing that the entire drive has been removed. Also, for Dropbox to work correctly, the drive should be formatted as NTFS (Windows), HFS (Mac OS dizzy face or a fi...

Finally, the Dropbox folder is just a normal folder on your hard drive, so any changes to it are synced to the website and your events page respectively as it's the place that every add, edit and delete is logged. Internet connection issues may delay the actual syncing to a time when “no one was at the computer,” but the timestamps do represent the actual time that Dropbox synced the event, if that's the case that is. 

Sorry for the lengthy response yet I hope it helps to some extent.

Walter

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

tgl Level 2
Level 2

Just like @dtalley2000, I was an early adopter of Dropbox. Unfortunately I have also had problems with files being deleted without my knowledge. I simply needed a place to store files for longer periods, and when I came back after my subscription had run out, all files were gone - ALL files were gone. Unfortunately I did not keep a physical back-up. I was entirely dependant on my dropbox and used it as the only storage place as I used a large number of devices to work from.

You keep explaining that the origin of the deletion come from our computers. If that is the case you need to make a fix that prevents users from deleting the dropbox content unless logged in to the web browser and some two-factor system like suggested by dtalley2000. 

I would not reccomend dropbox to anyone and my entire office has changed to google drive instead, both for work-related and private use. It appears to be a much safer option.

Would also like to see my money returned because you did not manage to safe-guard my files which means that you did not uphold your part of the deal, (however, I do not expect this).

Good luck!

Dissapointed ex-customer..

Dropboxer

Sorry to hear you feel this way @tgl - did you go through all of my suggestions above and still haven't found any of your files? Were they in shared folders perhaps? 

Generally speaking now, when your Dropbox account gets over quota then only syncing stops. Nothing is removed and syncing will resume when you bring your account under quota again.

As per your billing inquiry, you can log a ticket with our team and ask directly as this would be the suggested way to handle such an account specific and billing inquiry.

Let me know if there's anything else I can help with in the meantime.

Walter

tgl Level 2
Level 2

@Walter thanks for the reply

I was in direct contact with one of your colleagues at the time and we wenth through all possible scenarios and steps like mentioned above, but unfortunately without success. 

They also explained nothing would be removed when the subscription ran out, but for some unknown reason all was lost. I have reconciled with the fact that so many years of work and memories are gone, but it still sadens me to think about it. I would spend my eternity in a junk yard looking through old servers if that meant I could get my old photo albums and music projects back.

I really hope though that the Dropbox team will act upon feedback like this and help future customers safeguarding their files more securely and prevent user-errors given we are to blame for file-loss (though I suspect some other reasons as well). I would also like if you'd spend some time in the junk yard on our behalf.

Peace out

TGL

Re: I have lost my files. Can you help me restore them somehow?

Level 2

how can I sign in and change password.. to recover files

Re: I have lost my files. Can you help me restore them somehow?

Dropboxer

You should be able to change your password (or email address, name etc.) throough your account's tab (at https://www.dropbox.com/account/security ) @Francoise1!

Let us know if you need anything else. 

Walter

Missing files and folders

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

I have lost my files. Can you help me restore them somehow?
8 Replies
3 Likes
Solved! : See solution