Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

no

Highlighted

Lost files in my Mac's desktop Dropbox folder

Level 2

iMac with High Sierra 10.13.16....on April 5 it appears that Dropbox was upgraded as part of my regular upgrades (my VPN - Hotspot Shield was also updated that day). Most of the files in Dropbox no longer appear in the Dropbox folder. Two other people have access to these files and they can see them on their computers at different physical locations with different IP addresses. They have added files and folders which I can not see on my computer.

When I launch Dropbox over the last few days I see "SYNCING 560,000 files". Today when I launched, I've had "STARTING" on the screen for 40 minutes after a complete shut down and re-start.

Ideas on how I can get my files back?

Tags (1)
4 Replies

Re: Lost files in my Mac's desktop Dropbox folder

Dropboxer
Hey @Mike G.38, I’m wondering if you had Selectively Synced any of your existing folders on your device before or after the upgrade. I’m asking, as it’s possible that this device can’t handle the client load

Following, just so as to follow the timeline of events on your end, can you clarify whether you were facing any issues before the update or even before the issue you’ve described here? 

From there, your description implies that syncing wouldn’t progress on your end for a few days, is that right? Now, that’s a mere guess, however, can you confirm that you’re not using any Symlinks or referenced files on the device where you’re experiencing this issue? I’d appreciate a screenshot (omitting personal info) of your view when you’re trying to launch the app, so as to better determine what's happening; please include it in your next message if possible. 

Last but not least, if your colleagues can see the shared content as expected, then I wouldn't suspect that your files were removed. In any event, there’s a 30-day window (or 120 days on a Business/ Professional plan) for restorations & (in most cases) you should be able to recover content (even on your own) from your Events & your Deleted Files pages. If you need more information about file recoveries, you could have a look at this resource. If it’s not too much trouble for you, can you quickly check there & let me know if you see any accidental deletions?

Please have a look at these pointers at your earliest convenience & let me know of your findings in your next reply. Thanks & enjoy the rest of your day! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Level 2

Jane, thanks for responding so quickly!

- selectively sync....I have not done this (at least on purpose)

- symlinks....here is what the terminal responds: ~Colvoss-iMac:~ colvospassage$ find ~/Dropbox -type 1 -exec ls -lah {} \;
find: -type: 1: unknown type

- Events - shows files being added by my co-workers

- Deleted files - about a dozen are listed .... looks like they are all files that were in my trash and were deleted on purpose.

- Screen Shots - not letting me either drag or choose the files....can I send them to you a different way.

Level 2

Jane....I've been out of the office for 6 hours....DropBox is still syncing -- 540,469 files. I've confirmed that my co-workers are having no issue on their Mac's.

Should I un-install, then re-install DropBox?

Dropboxer

I appreciate your speedy reply @Mike G.38. As I’d like to expedite matters for you, I’ve sent you a brief message on the email connected to your Community profile gathering all the details you’ve included on this discussion. Please have a look at your inbox at your earliest convenience, so as to take it from where we left off here. Thanks in advance! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Missing files and folders

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Lost files in my Mac's desktop Dropbox folder
4 Replies
0 Likes
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post