Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

no

Missing files and events after new installation

Level 2

I'm using dropbox daily over 5+ years.

While travelling I had to delete my dropbox and its content from my laptop (companies policy).

After reinstalling dropbox and synchronizing all files I had to realize that the last 3 months of files and their associated events are gone?

These are some very important documents, which I will need back by Monday morning.

I've read all availalbe information about missing files, but did not find any solution for my missing files & events.

Any advise please.

Thank you

Liz

Tags (1)
8 Replies

Re: Missing files and events after new installation

Super User II

Unfortunately if nothing shows at www.dropbox.com/events then those files have never been on Dropbox. Therefore you cannot recover them via Dropbox. You'll need to use your own backups. 

The ONLY exception to this is if you were in some shared folders and have left/been removed from and then those folders only no longer appear in Events, but everything else does.

PenguinPenguin - Penguin - Penguin - Penguin

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Level 2

Thank you for your reply.

These files were on dropbox as from time to time I have had to log on via the webportal to download some files when I'm not using my computer. I logged on last week at a client side and downloaded a report I was working on. This report and its directory now is gone.

Also when using the dropbox folder is it not that dropbox synchronizes all files on an ongoing basis?

As I stated before I'm using dropbox on a daily basis and the event log on the web portal has now the last entry on 12/12/2018.

Highlighted

Super User II

Are these shared folders?

PenguinPenguin - Penguin - Penguin - Penguin

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Level 2

no shared folders

Level 2

I've just noticed that all the folders which are missing files have a blue circle and not the green circle with the check inside.

It appears that the local repository of dropbox knows that stuff is missing?

Dropboxer
Hey @mracer, sorry to hear that. 

Initially, I wanted to mention that, in general, the blue syncing icon with rotating arrows Arrows Counter Clock means individual files and folders are in the process of syncing. 

However, in order to have a better look into this matter, I’d recommend moving this discussion to email due to account-specific info. As such, I was able to locate your ongoing communication with a member of my team and have passed your comments along to them. 

I can see that they replied to you, so please check your inbox for their latest message and if you have any further inquiries regarding this, don’t hesitate to get back to them. 

Thanks in advance! slightly smiling face

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Level 2

No it was not solved.

To me it is a clear software problem with dropbox.

78 days without syncronizing although the dropbox icon is on and +1650 files lost over that?

Dropboxer
Hey @mracer,

For security and privacy purposes, I’m afraid I’m not able to troubleshoot further regarding this matter. 

For this reason, you can reply to my colleague’s response through the email interaction you have with them as they’ll be able to better assist with our investigation tools. 

Thanks again! 

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Missing files and folders

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Missing files and events after new installation
8 Replies
1 Like