Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

no

Highlighted

Non synching of laptop and dropbox

I have dropbox as folder on computer. My computer crashed. On another computer, I am looking at dropbox on web -- dropbox.com -- and it's not up to date with all the files I had placed in dropbox folder on my laptop??

HELP!!

7 Replies

Re: Non synching of laptop and dropbox

Dropboxer

Sorry to hear about your syncing issue @healthytravel!

To begin with, can you take a look at the Dropbox icon in your taskbar (Windows) or menu bar (Mac) and see if it is done syncing?

When Dropbox is fully synced then you should see a tick followed by the words “Up to date” on the menu.  If you do not see this then can you please let me know what the message being displayed reads?

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Hi Walter,

First, the 2 places DropBox shows up: 1. as a stacked file icon on the bottom of screen. 2. as a folder in my file manager -- "My Documents" -- I tried to attach screen shot of later, but won't take it.

Second, exploring any "synch" funciton now is too little too late. My other computer crashed. I need files that i thought were backed up in my dropbox folder. BUT when i went to dropbox site, the files there were a year old -- before i had the newer computer.

Make sense? I want to know where the files are that i had been putting into a dropbox folder on my other computer that crashed. 

e

Dropboxer

If the computer that crashed had never been online to sync your changes to our servers then you were just working on (i.e. adding files to) an offline, local copy of your Dropbox Folder @healthytravel!

The Dropbox software (i.e. the desktop app) is designed to watch your Dropbox folder and sync any files placed in the folder. Your Dropbox folder is just like any other folder on your hard drive, but with syncing features.

This means that if you weren't running the desktop app until it showed "up to date" which in turn would mean that you're fully synced those changes might have never made it to our servers -- and of course they were never synced across devices (or to our website which is the first place to check when you want to make sure that an upload is complete). 

Consequently, the files you were copying or moving into your Dropbox Folder on the computer that crashed are there (assuming that the computer is still recoverable). 

I know it's not what you wanted to hear but I sure hope this clarifies matters to you! 

PS: The stacked file icon at the bottom of the screen is the desktop application's icon while the second one is your Dropbox Folder (as described above). 

Walter

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

But it was always "on line" -- the computer. Meaning that I am always on the internet. So shouldn't it have prompted me? I mean, I had NO idea. I assumed that I had the application, was using it and that it was doing its job. How would I know that I needed to do something additionally? It makes no sense to me. Help.

Once, and IF, I get computer back from Apple and I still have files, I'll want to ensure that it is synching. Just dont at all understand why this wouldn't be automatic?

e

Dropboxer

It should be automatic @healthytravel!

There are various reasons you could have been disconnected from the internet at some point. Best thing to do is always check your synicng status when working your Dropbox folder to make sure you're up to date and fully synced.

Note that changes you make (i.e. adds, edits and deletes) are logged into your events page normally so that would be the last place to check if the changes you mentioned were ever logged to our servers. 

Let me know if you need anything else!

Walter

What i have since learned is that my dropbox app was not up to date and this was a big part of problem. Now that i'm up and running on my repaired computer, I think i have it synching. However, i do see a red X next to a couple of files and i am not sure what that means...

Bottom line: Ensure app up to date. And check files on dropbox website vs on computer.

Dropboxer

Glad to hear that you resolved this in the end @healthytravel!

Now, as per the red X on your files note that the red circle with the x means that something is wrong, and Dropbox isn’t syncing this file or folder. There are a few common reasons for this:

I hope this helped point you towards the right direction and please let me know if you have any more questions. 

Walter

Missing files and folders

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Non synching of laptop and dropbox
7 Replies
0 Likes
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post