Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

5 Comments
1 Like
Highlighted
Level 4

Problem downloading from Dropbox to new computer

I got a new HP laptop with Windows 10. I accessed my Dropbox account, downloaded the app. Data starting unloading immediately. After a few hours, the Properties window in the laptop stated I had downloaded 18 GB of a total of 35 Gb. After the download "ended" Properties says I have only 1.78 Gb of data.

My previous computer, an identical unit that failed after 3 months never had a problem with Dropbox.

I have reset this computer to its original configuration twice, same thing happens every time.

My Dropbox account has a 1 Tb capacity.

I have been dealing with this problem for nearly two weeks and am not getting further response from Dropbox via email.

Someone please help!  

5 Replies
Dropboxer

Re: Problem downloading from Dropbox to new computer

Hey there @Luis24 - sorry to hear about your syncing issue. Let's take a look!

First of all, could you take a look at the Dropbox icon in your taskbar (Windows) and see if it is done syncing? When Dropbox is fully synced then you should see a tick followed by the words “Up to date” on the menu.

If you do not see this then can you please let me know what the exact message being displayed reads?

Also, could you send me a screenshot of the space discrepancy you notice on your Dropbox folder?

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Level 5

This type of query illustrates EXACTLY why Dropbox's customer-hostile policy of denying paying customers telephone support creates confusion and irritation amongst customers, for no purpose, as it is now in my standard (-ives) list of things i tell prospective customers. E.g. support at msoft online is much more accessible..... y is it soooo hard???

Level 4

Could not agree more with m s.23's comments. I have been dealing with this problem and trying to talk to ANYONE in Dropbox since November 23-24. However, since the alternative is going to another service with the grief associated with a changeover, I will try ONE more time to resolve this amicably.

Walter, here is the latest:

1. I have done several Restores to my computer, including the last one where I returned the unit to "out of the box" condition. 

2. The problem, implausible as it may seems, is getting worse. After loading Google Chrome, my favorite browser and one with which I have had no previous issues in accesing Dropbox (did try Microsoft Edge previously, result even worse that with Google), I 

a) Went into my Dropbox account

b) loaded Dropbox into my totally restored computer,

The result is now worse that even before as Dropbox does not load at all.

I am attaching two screenshots. One is a Google Chrome shot that shows that there is no downloading going on, the other is a Dropbox screenshot that shows Dropbox telling me there was a problem downloading the files.

Screenshot (1).png

Screenshot (2).png

Level 4

Hello Walter,

After I sent the earlier message, noticed that Dropbox had again started downloading (psychic connection?). However, it quickly stopped at 2 GB, which tells me Dropbox is apparently not recognizing I have a 1 Tb pay service. In other instances, it stopped at slightly below that amount of data. 

In previous cases where I have seen larger amounts of data being downloaded (10, 12, 15 GB) via the File Explorer app, when the download ends, File Explorer reverts to showing a less-than-2Gb download size.

Hope this helps.

Best,

@Luis24 

Dropboxer

Thanks for the additional information @Luis24 - much appreciated.

Could you please tell me if you have enough hard drive space on your computer to finish this particular download? 

While we're at it, do you get the same results on another browser or an incognito and after having cleared your browser's cache

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Missing files and folders

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help you find an answer!
You won’t have to wait too long for a reply, but why not learn more about the Community while you’re here.

Not the right discussion for you? Find out what else our Community has to say about Missing files and folders.

Or, search our Help Center for even more.

Who's talking
Top contributors to this post