Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

7 Comments
2 Likes
Highlighted

Some files within a folder have not uploaded, although Dropbox says sync is up to date

I initially selected a folder to upload.  It began to upload but stopped because I reached my Dropbox capacity.  I got more capacity and selected the same folder to upload.  Many of the files have uploaded, and Dropbox (on my Mac) says that the sync is up to date, but some files/subfolders are not in the Dropbox folder (and the folder in the Dropbox area of Finder has a green check but is greyed out).  Please advise.  Thanks.

Tags (2)
7 Replies
Dropboxer

Re: Some files within a folder have not uploaded, although Dropbox says sync is up to date

Hey there @SeekingHelp - how are you today?

Did you reboot at all after getting this error and having the extra space added to your account? Can you please send me a screenshot of the problem to have a better look?

Also, did you initiate this upload through the web or just by dragging and droping or moving/copying those files into your Dropbox folder to begin with? 

Thanks in advance for your reply and feel free to include any piece of information you think might help our investigation. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Re: Some files within a folder have not uploaded, although Dropbox says sync is up to date

Thanks for the response, Walter.  I initiated both uploads via the web (Safari browser on Mac).  I don't recall if I rebooted.  There isn't really an error message to screenshot.  It's just that I see certain subfolders in the folder on my computer (actually, on a Network Attached Server that my iMac treats as a separate location in Finder) that don't appear in my Dropbox folder on my iMac or in My Files in Dropbox on the web.  Many folders do appear, but some for some reason don't, and when I click on the Dropbox icon at the top right of my iMac screen, it says that my sync is up to date.  Hope that info helps.  Thanks.

Dropboxer

Thanks for all the additional information @SeekingHelp - much appreciated!

If I understood correctly, the setup you're currently using has the Dropbox folder on a NAS or network storage device. Read on for more info: 

Spoiler

Dropbox might be presenting this behavior because network file systems do not send messages when files change. When Dropbox first starts it will do a deep file scan and will detect changes and sync them. However, during normal operation, Dropbox waits for "file update events" and only physically connected drives send these events.

The best fix to this problem is simply to move the Dropbox folder to your computer's internal drive. You can use the steps in the following Help Center article: 

https://www.dropbox.com/help/desktop-web/move-dropbox-folder

NOTE: The location you select is the folder where the Dropbox folder will be moved to, rather than the folder your Dropbox files will be stored in while we always recommend choosing a location on the same hard drive as your operating system. Dropbox won't work correctly should the Dropbox folder ever become inaccessible.

To see if there are files in your Dropbox that may have problematic file names, you can try our lookup tool at: https://www.dropbox.com/bad_files_check while you should be able to also view a full list of the characters (letters, symbols, or numbers) that may be incompatible with the operating system on your computer's OS in this Help Center article

Moreover, I just wanted to add that uploading files to dropbox.com is limited by three things, including:
- The size of the file(s) (up to 50 GB).
- The number of file(s) (up to 3000 files).
- The bandwidth of your internet connection. 

If you’re having trouble uploading files to dropbox.com, it’s likely due to one of these three factors (trying out other browsers is also suggested). In this case, it may be better to upload the files a different way - why don't you give our desktop application a go

Note that the desktop app looks just like any other folder on your computer yet the difference is that files added here will automatically sync and upload to the Dropbox website (not to be confused with network drives). It’s also faster, and allows you to upload larger files.

To get started using the Dropbox desktop app, please download the latest version (currently 61.4.95) and add files there:
1. Download the latest version of the Dropbox desktop app at https://www.dropbox.com/downloading
2. When the download finishes, double-click the downloaded file and follow the instructions to complete the install.
3. When that’s done, sign in with the same username and password you use to access the Dropbox website.
4. You’ll then see a “Dropbox” folder on your computer’s hard drive. Drag any files you like into the Dropbox folder, and they’ll sync to the Dropbox website. And if you add, edit, or delete files from the Dropbox folder, those changes will sync, too.

Apologies for the lenghty reply and please keep me posted on your progress. 

Walter

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

I have the desktop app for the Mac.  I have a ton of music files, so it's well in excess of 15,000 files in the folder I was trying to copy to Dropbox.  But I should have enough storage space in Dropbox.  When I tried to copy and paste from the desktop, it said I didn't have enough room (which would be true if a lot of the files weren't already in Dropbox).  And I cannot double-click on the folder in Dropbox because it is greyed out for some reason.  I just don't want to have to move individual files/subfolders.

Should I just try to delete the folder I currently have in Dropbox and try to upload the folder again now that I have more capacity, or will I still run into problems given the 3,000 file limitation (and, if so, how can I work around that)?  Thanks.

Dropboxer

Thanks for the swift response @SeekingHelp!

Could you please send me a screenshot of this please?

@SeekingHelp wrote:

When I tried to copy and paste from the desktop, it said I didn't have enough room (which would be true if a lot of the files weren't already in Dropbox).  And I cannot double-click on the folder in Dropbox because it is greyed out for some reason. 

In the meantime you should be able to tackle this by doing this action in smaller batches of files while the error you got might had to do with your Mac's space not your Dropbox account. You can verify this through your account's tab (by seeing your account's quota that is): https://dropbox.com/account/plan 

Hope this helps to some extent and thanks for your cooperation!

PS:If this indeed has to do with your computer's disk space, take a look below winking face

Spoiler

Your Dropbox folder is just a normal folder on your hard drive. Therefore, if you drag and drop files into the Dropbox folder, those files will be moved instead of copied.

It's common to assume Dropbox works like a network drive because of its many online features. However, your Dropbox folder is actually a normal folder and its contents are stored on your hard drive. The Dropbox application only watches your Dropbox folder for changes and syncs those changes online and to your other computers. One of the benefits of this way of syncing is always having access to your files, even while you are offline.

For more information on moving files versus copying them, visit our Help Center article:

https://www.dropbox.com/help/desktop-web/files-move-instead-of-copy

Walter

Hmm.  So I don't want a copy of the music files I've stored on my NAS to also be copied onto the hard drive of my iMac via the Dropbox folder.  That defeats the entire purpose of having the NAS ... getting the music files off my iMac hard drive to free that up for other things.  How can I eliminate this and just take the files on my NAS and back them up onto the Dropbox cloud without also putting them onto my iMac hard drive?

Sorry for all of the questions.

Dropboxer

No worries @SeekingHelp - we're always here to assist in the best way possible!

In this case, I'd suggest only using the website to upload your files (preferably in small batches) while you should also uninstall the desktop app if you don't want your Dropbox files taking up any space on your hard drive since, in essence, your Dropbox folder (the one you got after installing our desktop app in the first place) is just a normal folder on your hard drive. Therefore, if you drag and drop files into the Dropbox folder, those files will be moved instead of copied.

Alternatively, you could keep using the desktop app so as to work on your computer's Dropbox Folder and be able to sync and use our Selective Sync feature to free up space (on that particular computer while using the desktop app). 

For more information about running Dropbox on a server, and general recommendations, see below:

Spoiler

For more information about running Dropbox on a server, and general recommendations, see below:

https://www.dropbox.com/help/desktop-web/server-hosting

For information on how to migrate the content of a server to Dropbox and suggestions to improve the efficacy of the process, visit this help center article:

https://www.dropbox.com/help/desktop-web/migrate-server-data

I hope this helps to some extent and please let me know if there's anything else I can do from my end to assist.

Walter

Missing files and folders

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help you find an answer!
You won’t have to wait too long for a reply, but why not learn more about the Community while you’re here.

Not the right discussion for you? Find out what else our Community has to say about Missing files and folders.

Or, search our Help Center for even more.

Who's talking
Top contributors to this post