cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Some of my files show up as zero bytes

Some of my files show up as zero bytes

saguilar2012
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

When I save file, the file will appear in my DropBox, but when I open it the file is completely blank or only kept an older version of the document. I realized some of these "saved" items are being saved as Zero bytes. I am not sure why this is happening. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
If it is still syncing, then it means that it isn’t up to date yet.

I’d recommend waiting until all your files have finished syncing before attempting to open those files.

If it doesn’t stop syncing, try an advanced reinstall of the app to see if this resolves the issue.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

View solution in original post

82 Replies 82

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi there, are you opening the files on the Dropbox site or on your machine itself?

If you’re using the site, could you try switching browsers to see if this helps? Otherwise, use incognito/private browsing mode without any extensions running, clearing your cache and even resetting your browser entirely. 

If the machine, could you check if the Dropbox desktop application is running, and what status it has in the menu bar or system tray?

Let me know how it goes!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

saguilar2012
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi Jay -

I accessing it from my computer/machine. I am not sure what you mean by "check if the Dropbox desktop application is running, and what status it has in the menu bar or system tray?"  I access my DropBox from my favorites and it's also something i can access from my dock. How do I check if it is running and its status?

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Is it visible in the menu bar or system tray, as per this article?

When you hover over the icon, you’ll see if the app is syncing or up to date.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

saguilar2012
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Ah ok. When I looked at the menu bar, it appears that the Dropbox incon is Syncing. Is there any other reason why it is saving my docs as Zero Bytes, resulting in blank pages when I open the document?

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
If it is still syncing, then it means that it isn’t up to date yet.

I’d recommend waiting until all your files have finished syncing before attempting to open those files.

If it doesn’t stop syncing, try an advanced reinstall of the app to see if this resolves the issue.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Alinemac
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I have the same problem. I accessed the document directly on Dropbox. It shows many documents I have stored there but it says the document is zero bytes and its empty. I am kind of in despair! Can't lose all that work!!!

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

My guess @Alinemac is that you are on a Mac and the file has either been moved to, copied to, or saved to Dropbox which has then uploaded the temp 'holder' file that Dropbox creates (at 0bytes). Time hasnt then been allowed to upload the full file once the copy/move etc. has finished. 

The only way to retrieve the file now is to go back to the original device and let it finish uploading

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

MikeHorn
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I realize that this thread is a couple years old, but I have just started having this same problem on my Mac. Have been using this same set of folders for almost a year with no problems but now they are all showing (in Finder) as Zero Bytes. If I got to Dropbox in a browser, the files are all there. But when I need to use the files, I have to go to the browser, download a copy, and then use. Not only are there extra steps but we also have potential version issues with the files themselves. (We use Dropbox as "public" storage and sharing of approved product photos).

In a browser, everything is normalIn a browser, everything is normalIn Mac Finder, the files are showing Zero BytesIn Mac Finder, the files are showing Zero Bytes

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Hi @MikeHorn 

Have you set up Smart Sync? https://help.dropbox.com/installs-integrations/sync-uploads/smart-sync

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropbox Staff
    nancysmith_design New member | Level 2
    antoniojl Explorer | Level 3
    jlivet New member | Level 2
    Walter Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?