cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spotlight and Search function of Dropbox can't search contents in Numbers file.

Spotlight and Search function of Dropbox can't search contents in Numbers file.

kenny100
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi, 

Spotlight and Search function of Dropbox doesn't seem to be working fine.

They can't search contents in Numbers file.

For example, one of my Numbers files has "123-4567" content located in Drop box folder. 

If we tried to search "123-4567" through Spotlight or Search function of Dropbox app on Mac we can get nothing for it. 

It is very odd. Once we open and close that file that has "123-4567" they can be found through spotlight and dropbox. But if you reboot your Mac it can't be found. 

It is very serious problem for us. Please check this problem and give us solution.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Dropbox shouldnt be altering spotlight at all - as it has no way of doing so, its an Apple feature.

Does the same happen to files outside of the Dropbox folder or if Dropbox is not running?

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Dropbox shouldnt be altering spotlight at all - as it has no way of doing so, its an Apple feature.

Does the same happen to files outside of the Dropbox folder or if Dropbox is not running?

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

robint02
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I have the same problem, and suspect it may be a smart sync issue. It's possible Dropbox may have made certain files and/or folder Online Only so that Spotlight can't see them. Can someone please look into this and suggest a solution?

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @robint02, thanks for messaging the Community!

If the file you're trying to search is online-only, then Spotlight wouldn't be able to search it as there won't be any content in the placeholder.

If you're experiencing this while the file is marked as local, and has a green tick on it in Finder, please let me know!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Christopher Z.2
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I'm having the same issue since upgrading to Mac OS. 11.1. Even if I put in an exact name for a local file that is not online it won't find the file.  Outside of the Dropbox folder the search function works fine.  Another odd thing while doing the search in the Dropbox folder I get no spinning activity wheel in the bottom right corner of the finder window, as I do in a non Dropbox folder.  Any suggestions??

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi there @Christopher Z.2, thanks for nudging us here. 

Have you tried reindexing your Spotlight by any chance? Maybe that will do the trick. 

Do you also get the same behavior when you search for files using the desktop app?

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Krisias
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi Jay.

I disagree with this comment as my MacBook Spotlight can search DropBox and return results of files that are online only. However, another user that has the same MacBook software, and Dropbox access is unable to search Dropbox for any files at all, online or downloaded, but he can search the local mac without any issues. If anyone since this original post does have a solution, I would be grateful.

MarkBarLev
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I'm having the same issue after the recent update of Dropbox and files were moved to the folder with my name on it even though it's a shared folder. I've contacted Dropbox support and they are looking into it. It's super annoying.

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @MarkBarLev, sorry to hear about this.

Could you share your ticket ID with us so that we can look it up in our system?

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

MarkBarLev
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Outside of Dropbox works fine. I know it shouldn't be doing anything related to spotlight, but since the most recent big update, I can't search those files.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Hannah Dropbox Staff
    MarkBarLev Helpful | Level 6
    Walter Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?