Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

11 Comments
2 Likes
Highlighted
Level 2

When I navigate to my DB folder, it is empty. The app access shows it full

I bought a new mobo and i7 8600k cpu and discovered that the cpu requires windows 10.  I upgraded from win 7 pro and it totally messed up my Dropbox.  When I navigate to the folder it is completely empty but when I navigate to it through the DB app, it shows the files.  [Explitive removed. Please mind your language here, including the use of acronyms in its place.)

11 Replies
Dropboxer

Re: When I navigate to my DB folder, it is empty. The app access shows it full

Dropbox takes time to transfer files between your computer and our servers @AVStudios

Could you please take a look at the Dropbox icon in your taskbar (Windows) or menu bar (Mac) and see if it is done syncing?

When Dropbox is fully synced then you should see a tick followed by the words “Up to date” on the m...

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Level 2

Thanks for replying!  It is still syncing its just incredibly odd that when I navigate to the same exact folder from two different methods, one shows it is empty and the other shows the files.  Windows never behaved like this before, same exact folder, same exact location. 

Dropboxer

The website always reflects your Dropbox files @AVStudios - the desktop app needs to sync until it shows "up to date" for you to be able to access your files. Read on for more info:

Syncing your files can take time if you have many files or large files. Just because the files have been placed into the Dropbox folder doesn't mean the syncing has completed.

When Dropbox syncs the files it starts with all of the folders, then uploads files from smallest to largest. Thus, it may look like the folders are empty or incomplete if you look during the syncing process. Please be patient and the files will sync. Do not delete them from the Dropbox folder if the files haven't finished syncing.

You can see the sync status by holding your mouse over the Dropbox icon. See here:

https://www.dropbox.com/help/syncing-uploads/check-progress

Last but not least, note that if you'd like to boost your syncing speed, you can change your bandwidth settings.

I hope this information helps clear things up for you and please let me know if you have any further questions.

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Level 2

Okay, process is complete and still no files in the folder.  I even restarted my system and it is completely empty.  Problem is, there is clearly a TON of space now taken up on the hard drive, just 0 files are visible in the folder.

Super User II

@AVStudios wrote:

... its just incredibly odd that when I navigate to the same exact folder from two different methods, one shows it is empty and the other shows the files.

What two methods? How, exactly, are you navigating to the folder?

Level 2

Okay, well, scratch that.  Now the files are not visible no matter what I do.  I was getting there through preferences but even that is showing an empty folder.  But I KNOW the files are there somehow because I watched the app sync and it ate up a ton of hard drive space.  

Super User II

Unless you specific a different location for your Dropbox folder, it should be located in C:\Users\[your username]\Dropbox. Can you navigate to that folder in Explore? If so, can you see any files in it and do they have the sync icons on them (green check mark, blue sync circle, etc.)?

Also, you installed the Dropbox app from the Dropbox website, and not the app from within the Microsoft App Store, correct? The App Store app is a mobile app, and does not sync your files.

Level 2

I figured it out.  You guys changed the names of things so I was looking in the "dropbox" folder, not the one with my name on it.  Changing the names really sent both of my systems into a tail spin in the first place, causing me to re-download everything again.  My laptop is still not synced properly but I will just do another install on it.  

It is a big problem, the way you changed the names of the folders.  I have multiple shortcut links set up that no longer work to my chosen DB folder location so I will have to set them all up again.  But thanks for your help!  

Super User II

Dropbox hasn't changed the name of its sync folder, or the default location for it, in a very long time. It has been the "Dropbox" folder for years. In the early days of XP it was called My Dropbox, but that name hasn't been used in quite some time.

If you had Dropbox in a different location from the default, then when you installed it again you would have needed to specify that. There's an Advanced Options link you can click during the install (after you sign-in, I believe) that will allow you to select the location of your choosing. And remember, you're telling it where to create or find a Dropbox folder. if you specify D:\Dropbox, you'll end up with D:\Dropbox\Dropbox. Instead you would specify D:\ and you'll end up with D:\Dropbox.

Missing files and folders

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help you find an answer!
You won’t have to wait too long for a reply, but why not learn more about the Community while you’re here.

Not the right discussion for you? Find out what else our Community has to say about Missing files and folders.

Or, search our Help Center for even more.

Who's talking
Top contributors to this post