cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can't sync permission denied. deleting file

can't sync permission denied. deleting file

Yoav K.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

hi. i get "can't sync permission denied" message. so never mind, i just want to get reed of this file now. how do i discard it and stop dropbox from keep doing it?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Kaz
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey! We actually covered how to fix this on this thread:

However if you just want to delete the file, try removing it from your Dropbox folder

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

Kaz
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey! We actually covered how to fix this on this thread:

However if you just want to delete the file, try removing it from your Dropbox folder

Thuy Dien M.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

My computer can't synchronize files (permission denied). Please guide me fix error above

BRs

Kaz
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Are you getting this message after Dropbox starts? Do you have "Access Denied" messages? In general these messages means the Dropbox desktop client is unable to access the location to sync your files. Can you double check that you don't have any applications open that may be writing to that location?

Krishan P.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

My dropbox is not syncing a file because it says "access denied" I am on windows and the page that said to run a bunch of windows commands in the command prompt did nothing.?

Edit. It seems the files in question were not closed properly thus windows locked the file because it thought it had been trying to save it for the last 2 days.
Simply opening and resaving each file solved this for me

Mahima H.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Thanks Krishnan - your tip solved the problem for me!

Michael H.95
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

My question is a little different, I see the error message "xxx access denied" on the drop-down menu item, but I have many similar folders and file names, so is there a log somewhere I can see the full path to problematic files?

Michael B.177
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

So far, all of the solutions are for MAC even Kaz's link above is only for a Mac.  I'm on Windows 7, the file is showing up in my Dropbox with a red circle/white X.  When I try to delete it it says, "You need permission to perform this action.  You require permission from [MYSELF] to make changes to this file."  If I try to open the file it says, "Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file.  You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item."  The icon in the lower right-hand corner says, "Indexing [FILENAME]... Can't sync [FILENAME] (access denied).  It's been this way for three days now.

Matt C.8
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Same problem here on buisiness version of dropbox. "Can't sync 50.pdf, access denied".

The only thing is 50.pdf doesn't actually exist anywhere in our corporate dropbox and I can;t seem to find any logs to see what dropbox thinks the full path to the file is! Been like it for over a week now. 

gavinjoseph123
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
Try >> Long Path Tool << software, for --------------- filename too long windows 10 filename too long cannot rename filename too long to open file path too long windows 10 path too long windows 7 path too long windows 10 Windows 10 File Name Too Long filename or extension is too long windows 8 filename or extension is too long windows 10 destination path too long error when moving/copying a file filename or extension is too long delete +OneDrive +path +special +character +^ the filename or extension is too long eclipse java the filename or extension is too long filename too long cannot rename jenkins createprocess error 206 the filename or extension is too long netbeans createprocess error=206, the filename or extension is too long "Enable NTFS long paths" delete file with long file name Windows 10 File Name Too Long Windows 10 Path Too Long Windows 10 Long File Names Long File Name Copy Tool Windows Cannot Delete File Path Too Long File Name Too Long Can't Rename File Name Too Long for Destination Folder Delete Folders with Long Names File Name Is Too Long Error long path fixer createprocess error=206, the filename or extension is too long find long file names utility long filename finder long file name checker find long file names windows long file path finder overcoming path limit windows path length limit workaround windows 10 path limit max path length linux windows 10 file path limit windows 10 max path length maximum path length windows 10 file path length checker file path too long windows 7 path too long error 0x80010135 get-childitem the specified path too long very long filename the system cannot find the file specified the filename or extension is too long how to rename a file that is too long on win7 long file name delete network filenames too long to delete cant delete file path name is too long cannot delete path file name too long renaming tools path name to long to copy long file path path too long sharepoint filename too long windows 10 filename too long to delete filename too long for destination folder filename too long cannot rename --------------
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Matt C.8 New member | Level 1
    Michael B.177 New member | Level 1
    Michael H.95 New member | Level 1
    Mahima H. New member | Level 1
    Krishan P. New member | Level 1
What do Dropbox user levels mean?