cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We want to hear from you on accessibility tools and features for Dropbox - get involved in the conversation here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox starts syncing old maps

deleted folder re appeared after a couple of years

alex b.35
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Something very weird just happened with my dropbox account. Out of nowhere, a folder which was deletec about 2 years ago re appeared on my dropbox. It has the files as they were, which makes me wonder why the hell dropbox is still keeping these files after a few years that they have been deleted?

First I thought it was a hack, but then I checked all my devices and what was accessing my account and indeed, everything was as it was before.

It makes me think this is a serious bug and on another note, why the hell is dropbox keeping data that was deleted 2 years ago?

I'll surprised, scared and angry at the same time. I'm not even sure where to begin! I'm now wondering about several of my clients that use dropbox in their business if the same happens.

116 Replies 116

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

tijsboom wrote:
When I remove them from dropbox (for example by putting them on my computer or even in the trash), they return automatically.

If a file or folder returns when you delete it, it's usually because it was unable to be deleted on one of your connected devices.

You delete a file on computer A. Dropbox is informed that it has been deleted and syncs that change to your account. Dropbox on your other devices is notified that the file has been deleted, so they also remove the file. On computer B, Dropbox is unable to remove that file for whatever reason (permission, locked, read-only, etc.). The result is that the file remains in place. Dropbox sees the file is still there, thinks it's been added and uploads it back to your account. All your other devices are notified of the "new" file and they sync it back down.

So the problem is that the file or folder in question on one of your devices is unable to be deleted. Figure out which (use Previous Versions to see which computer is adding it back) and fix what is holding it there, and you'll be able to delete it.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

clumsybiker wrote:

I have a (very!) dim recollection I *might* have created this file myself (but 6 years ago??) so I'm wondering:

There are a couple of other people that reported old folders returning after being deleted previously (in at least one case, years ago), so it's likely that the same has happened to you.

a - is this some DropBox bug that's recreating old deleted stuff from years ago (and if so why does my notification come from "DropBox Server?)

Best guess, yes, and probably because the Dropbox servers are adding the files back. Again... best guess.

b - this is the prelude to some kind of hack / attack (maybe tomorrow someone will "share" a malicious executable with me expecting me to run it?

Highly unlikely.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution
I'm merging these threads into one so it's easier to track this issue.

Ross_S
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

@tijsboom wrote:

I'm using dropbox for quite some time. Never had problems.

All of a sudden it starts syncing old maps.

When I remove them from dropbox (for example by putting them on my computer or even in the trash), they return automatically.

Hi there,

I've sent you an email to follow up on this, we'll get to the bottom of it!

Many thanks in advance.

A788286432
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I'm actually having this exact issue: files I deleted about 5 to 6 years ago are appearing back in my Dropbox. When I go to view their prior history, I get an error and it says none is available. Can someone please contact me about this? Thank you. 

wishu
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi! I have the same issue with my account, my Mac is downloading a lot of folders which are deleted 2 or 3 years ago and I don't know why I am downloading it again (and I don't know why Dropbox is still saving this files on his servers)...

I have checked my Activity History and I haven't any kind of "weird" activity. Also I had changed my passwords on my account.

JebOfTheValley
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Same issue! 400+ folders and files that were deleted long ago started downloading to all my devices today. What gives? Also isn't this stuff supposed to be purged after 30 days? Is DropBox really keeping our files forever? Scary.

mokaroka
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I have the very same problem. Almost 10 GB of files I've deleted 6 years ago appeared in my Dropbox today. This is very weird for me since I have never had a single problem before with Dropbox. It is kind of creepy...I can't find the right contact email as well

bretw
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I'm having similar issues this morning with dozens of files. There have been no changes of files from my employees listed under Events. From reading threads below it's obvious that it's a Dropbox system issue. My concen is rolling back to correct this issue. I don't want to spend time having to refile. Yikes! 

A788286432
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I just received an automated email from Dropbox Support outlining that the issue can be resolved using their self-serve help tools on the website. Furthermore, they then closed the help ticket. It's actually kind of insulting that the help request was even flagged for something like this, rather than reviewed by a human. What recourse do we have to obtain assistance on this? Do I have to spam Twitter with help messages? 

Need more support?