cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

deleted folder re appeared after a couple of years

deleted folder re appeared after a couple of years

alex b.35
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Something very weird just happened with my dropbox account. Out of nowhere, a folder which was deletec about 2 years ago re appeared on my dropbox. It has the files as they were, which makes me wonder why the hell dropbox is still keeping these files after a few years that they have been deleted?

First I thought it was a hack, but then I checked all my devices and what was accessing my account and indeed, everything was as it was before.

It makes me think this is a serious bug and on another note, why the hell is dropbox keeping data that was deleted 2 years ago?

I'll surprised, scared and angry at the same time. I'm not even sure where to begin! I'm now wondering about several of my clients that use dropbox in their business if the same happens.

116 Replies 116

mokaroka
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Spamming in Twitter doesn't seem to be working either...

JebOfTheValley
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

No good Rich. The reappearing files are throwing error 400 when trying to check the version history.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

A788286432 wrote:

What recourse do we have to obtain assistance on this?

Dropbox is already aware of the issue and is looking into it. Reply back to your ticket and include a link to this thread.

Allison M.7
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

This has happened to me too - a load of files and folders from 2011 and then some from about 5 years ago.  All just appeared in my dropbox today.  Tried to do the version history but getting an error.

Really concerning that I didn't even know these files still existed.  They are personell data of old clients etc.

Have manually deleted but really want to know what is going on.  Could someone update asap as this is very worrying.

unclechichi
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Yep, deleted 2011 files started reappearing for me today as well.  Hmmm...

mkm
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

This exact issue happening today to me as well.  All my synced computers re-downloading files from 2011.  Feeling privacy violations and confusion.

alex999
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Yep same problem here, it's a annoying because I have limited space on my local hard drive and some large old files that just live on the cloud. Now I'm worried that I've no control over how my disk fills up. Changing password...

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@alex999 wrote:

Changing password...

That won't have any affect on this issue.

janchristensen
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Same thing happening to me. I am an experienced Dropbox user and know that this might occur if files are not deleted on other devices (for reasons such as write protection or if in use and such), but that is not the issue here. These are old folder and occasional - random - files in the folders. This is a very disturbing bug, because it makes me concerned about the syncing of my current files and so on. I'd like to see Dropbox reply to this immediately, please.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

janchristensen wrote:

I'd like to see Dropbox reply to this immediately, please.

Dropbox is already aware of the issue and is looking into it. When I hear more, I'll post it.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Ed Dropbox Staff
    BackMeUp Helpful | Level 5
    jduffeytx Explorer | Level 3
    feklee Helpful | Level 6
What do Dropbox user levels mean?