Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

old dropbox folder cannot be deleted

Hi all,

i´ll post it in the "missing folder section", but my problem is the contrary of it.

I installed dropbox desktop client after beeing invited to a dropbox share.

Because the dropbox folder had been creazed in my user area, i moved it using the dropbox client to c:\dropbox old\dropbox, then in a second try to c:\dropbox.

The first automatically created folder in my user area could be deleted, but the c:\dropbox old\dropbox\ cannot be deleted. Windows 10 tells me i need administrative rights to do this.

I tried to set file access to full access for all, both from the owner and from administrator, i tried with enabling and disabling parenting user rights (oops, right word?). No success at all. Cannot delete single files, cannot delete c:\dropbox old or c:\dropbox old\dropbox. The only thing i can do is renaming the c:\dropbox old to a new folder name.

What should i try next?

greetings from germany

Chris

5 Replies

Re: old dropbox folder cannot be deleted

Dropboxer
Hey @ChristianStüben, welcome to our community!

To be honest, I don’t know about this one. I suggest that you write in to our team here, so an agent can troubleshoot more closely with you, and investigate. Please make sure to write in from the email address associated with your Dropbox account, so our team can access it, and take a look. 

Thanks in advance, and happy holidays!  

Sanchez
Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Bingo! Found it.

In the windows file access control list / folder access control list there have been "deny" entries. After removing the deny entries the files and folder could be moved to the trash and now they are deleted.

But i dont know why these entries only have been in this one dropbox folder.

greetings from germany

Chris

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Thanks for coming back and letting me know your solution! As for why these were files/folders were in this state to begin with, I honestly don’t know, but I’m glad that you got this taken care of winking face

Cheers

Sanchez
Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Level 3

can u elaborate a little ... i am not able to do it !! thanks 

Level 2

Use the details in this article to take control. It works briilliantly.

Make sure you tick the subcontainer box too in their example.

https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/take-ownership-folder-windows-10-using-file-explorer

Missing files and folders

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

old dropbox folder cannot be deleted
5 Replies
0 Likes
Solved! : See solution