cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We want to hear from you on accessibility tools and features for Dropbox - get involved in the conversation here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: what is cfl.dropboxstatic.com.url

what is cfl.dropboxstatic.com.url

Charles D.23
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I recently had all my files in a shared folder deleted.  I was able to go in and restore them all, but in the process found one suspicious file, which I did not restore which was "cfl.dropboxstatic.com.url".  Does anyone know what that might be?

Next to all my deleted files was "Dale".  One of my users is Dale, but he says it wasn't him?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

RichardDBX
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi all, apologies for the confusion here — I can help provide some information.

Background:  Dropbox allows you to save website URLs to Dropbox as individual files. For example, if you were to navigate to www.dropbox.com, then drag and drop the URL from the URL bar of your web browser into Dropbox, it would result in a file being created called "www.dropbox.com.url". If you were to click on that file, it will open a new browser window or tab and take you to that page.

Now, about the "cfl.dropboxstatic.com.url" files: we had a temporary issue with our new redesigned website where, in some cases, dragging and dropping a file in your Dropbox on the website (for example, to drag it into another folder, or by accident) would mistakenly add it to your Dropbox as a URL file.

We've since fixed this issue, so you shouldn't see it happen again; however, if you have any of these cfl files in your account, you can simply delete them – they're harmless!

View solution in original post

30 Replies 30

Mari H.1
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Hi there, 

I had the same thing. 

It appears when I was deleting my access to share folders.

I have deleted since but I don't know what it is.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

It's likely just a file used by Dropbox. Open it in a text editor and view the content.

Charles D.23
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Thanks.  It turns out my user "Dale" did delete the files...he just didn't know he did.  I'm still not sure what the .url file is...will look at it.

May May G.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I too have been getting lots of this URL showing up in my account:

cfl.dropboxstatic.com.url

I've seen this discussed in other threads, but Dropbox seems very reticent to explain what it is and/or whether we should be concerned. I'm unable to view the contents of this mystery URL. Whatever it is, it's taking up 101 bytes a crack.  This only began appearing in my account just recently.

PLEASE DROPBOX: can someone explain what this is and why is it being added into my account?

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

I'm unable to view the contents of this mystery URL.

Why not? If you open it in a text editor (Notepad, Notepad++, Atom, etc.) you should be able to see the content of the file.

Stephen F.17
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Clearly YES this is some artifact of dropbox processes, this file and variations of it:

WHY WILL SUPPORT NOT SPEAK TO THIS ISSUE?

I am seeing more and more of these files, and further, dropbox is advising me that they are being uploaded - despite the fact that I am obviously not the one creating them, at least not by choice or intentionally.  Files for dropbox's use should NOT be identified as being my files, neither should they be appearing within my directory structures.

Please do the professional thing and speak to this issue.  Dropbox support, I am speaking to you.  I don't need to look at these or view their content - I know they're some artifact of the activities to upload or move files among my folders.  WHY am I seeing them, and why is dropbox actually telling me that they are being created and uploaded, downloaded, etc... ??

It is a bug, plain and simple - best do the professional thing and admit it and address your customer's concerns.  I doubt there's reason to panic, but it is still contrary to the way things should be working.

No offense intended.  I'm a fan and perhaps at times an evangelist. 

Cheers,

SF

j_h
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Just had one of these "cfl.dropboxstatic.com.url" files pop up in my account as I was moving a bunch of files around and would love to know where it came from.

The contents of the file are as follows:

[InternetShortcut]
URL=https://cfl.dropboxstatic.com/static/images/icons/icon_spacer-vflN3BYt2.gif

moronuser
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I have the same issue.  So, after reading all these comments, I'm not clear what to do.  Should I just delete the file each time I find it?  It sounds like most folks are pretty sure that it should not be there amongst my own files.  I don't want to inadvertently delete some kind of functional file, especially not knowing what is does or not not do.  Sorry if this is a very amateur question.  I'm trying to take more ownership of my technology in terms of basic understanding of how it all works, and how I can maintain it myself. Your patience is greatly appreciated!

bhord
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

In my case no files were deleted but viewing a file resulted in a notification that says:

"cfl.dropboxstatic.com.url added

You added cfl.dropboxstatic.com.url

to your Dropbox"

I did no such thing. I will undo it if I can.

Need more support?