cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Integrations

Find solutions to issues with third-party integrations from the Dropbox Community. Share advice and help members with their integration questions.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Automatic creation of nested folders

Automatic creation of nested folders

Roberto S.12
Helpful | Level 6

Hi, not sure how to describe this exactly, maybe is a new feature request maybe there is a trick to do that that I don't know yet, anyway. 

As part of my workflow, each time I start a new project I create a "main project folder" with 10 subfolders, some of each have subfolders too. I have a "main project folder" structure/template that is manually deployed inside DB with an app (Post Haste - https://www.digitalrebellion.com/posthaste/). My first question is: is there a way to do  something similar with DB alone without using an external app? The second question is: is there an integration that can be used to trigger the creation of the "main project folder" from another app using a template stored in DB? Example: when I create a new quote in QB I could use a Zap to trigger the creation of the "main project folder" with the same name as the quote. 

Hope this is clear and I'd like to know if this is something that anybody else does and what is your way to automate/optimize it. 

8 Replies 8

AlexisL
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Roberto S.12! Great to e-meet you. You present an interesting workflow for us to explore and you've come to the right place to have this conversation! I'm a community manager here at Dropbox and while I don't have an identical use case, I can certainly help you explore what you might do next. Let's break things down by question.

My first question is: is there a way to do  something similar [to Post Haste] with DB alone without using an external app?

- Could you please elaborate on what you're specifically doing with Post Haste. If I understand correctly, it sounds like you're setting up file and folder templates for your projects. Is that right? If yes, then as far as I know there is no way to templatize folder creation at this time. However, you may be in luck with an integration.

The second question is: is there an integration that can be used to trigger the creation of the "main project folder" from another app using a template stored in DB? Example: when I create a new quote in QB I could use a Zap to trigger the creation of the "main project folder" with the same name as the quote. 

- My instinct was to suggest Zapier, actually! I do not have detailed knowledge of integrations like this, but I recommend tinkering with Zapier and IFTTT. Tray.io may be able to provide you a custom workflow, but that's something you'd have to investigate. Alternatively, depending on your technical knowledge, I recommend the Dropbox API. You might be interested in speaking with other developers on this subject in the API area of our forum, as well. 

Please let us know if you have follow up questions. I look forward to hearing from others about their workflows and recommendations, too! 

Roberto S.12
Helpful | Level 6

Hi AlexisL, great to meet you too and thanks for your reply.

Yes, the reason I was asking if something similar to Post Haste was available in DB was to eventually get rid of the app, it doesn't live in the cloud so no way to use some kind of integration with it (it is a very useful little app, but has its limits).

Thanks for suggesting the DB API but it is not something I'm confortable using at this time.

I'll keep investigating with Zapier and related integrations, maybe someone will see my post and they'll be able give me a different suggestion.

AlexisL
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for following up @Roberto S.12! Looking forward to seeing more thoughts come in from the community. Let us know if you have follow up questions and we'll be happy to help! 

Zil
Helpful | Level 6

We have a similar set up for our projects and have created a nested folder template that we copy and rename for new projects.  This works without too much hassle.  Zapier does have some dropbox functions but from what I have seen although it can create a file it can't create a complex nested one or copy a template.  Some IT people may have a coding workaround though.  I will be curious to follow this discuss what comes of it.  Although there are other features I would like that would save me more time a file template function would be cool.  

AlexisL
Dropbox Staff

Great to hear from you, @Zil! Sounds like you've found a setup that works for you. You mention Zapier - do you have any Zaps with Dropbox that you recommend? 

Zil
Helpful | Level 6

It is very specific to each businesses workflow and which software they use.  I would recommend everyone map out their workflow and make a list of all of their software they use and then from there see how things can interact.  Having everything mapped out you can then go to Zapier or to the vendors directly and say I have these softwares, what can you help me automate?  The ultimate goal is to create one information environment where everything is connected and there is no duplication of effort.

Emma
Community Manager

Just going to jump in on this chat @Zil! I really like your point about mapping out each individual workflow to see how things interact as a starting point for automation. Would really help to ensure nothing obvious is overlooked too!

Did you find this approach made a noticable difference for you?

KristyP
New member | Level 2

I know this thread started over a year ago but I am having a similar issue finding an integration or zap that will help create nested folders. I figured out how to get the "main project" folder created through a zap but would like to trigger a nested folder set up once I rename the "main project" with our current naming convention. So the question is, did anyone figure this out yet? LOL!

Need more support?