cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Files not showing in explorer, but can be opened via programs

Why are some of my Dropbox files not showing in File Explorer (Windows)?

richardmonk
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I can view and access files via my phone and via dropbox online, but some files are not visible in Windows Explorer (Win 10).

The strange thing is that the files are actually there; If I open excel, for example, and select the file from the recently opened files list, the file opens.

If I save the file, it will reappear in Windows Explorer. If I close it again without saving, it does not reappear.

This is seemingly random; some files created at the same time appear and some do not. For example file-1 and file-4 show in explorer, but file-2 and file-3 do not. All created at around the same time, on the same computer.

I thought at first that this was a sync issue, but the fact that the files can be opened suggest that the files are syncing, but just not being displayed.

I have ruled out sharing issues as this is happening with documents that only I have access to and I cannot see files on the computer originally used to create them.

I have ruled out file name issues, as there are no special characters, the only difference in file names is usually a version number.

I have ruled out a deletion issue as the files can still be opened.

I do not have smart sync, this is only a free account.

Any suggestions welcome.

edit: I am using build 52.4.58

edit2: I have just found a file that I can open via the program (recent files), edit and save, but still doesn't show up in windows explorer.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Elixir
Super User
Go to solution

Is it possible that the files are hidden in your system? Can you please turn on the Windows explorer settings to show hidden files? 

In order to do that go Windows Explorer >> View >> Options >> Change folder and search options. 

2018-06-25 at 8.39 PM.png

In the next window, Click View > and toggle the button to show hidden files: 

2018-06-25 at 8.40 PM.png

Is the files visible now in Windows Explorer?

View solution in original post

20 Replies 20

Elixir
Super User
Go to solution

Hi Richard, can you please launch your Dropbox folder, and check if the files are there? Please click the Dropbox icon in your windows tray, then click the folder icon, it will take you to the Dropbox folder. Do you see the files there? 

2018-06-25 at 7.53 PM.png

Also, in the Excel program do you see the file path in the recent files list? 

2018-06-25 at 7.58 PM.png

If you browse that folder in Windows explorer, do you see the file?

richardmonk
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thank you for your response.

If I click the dropbox icon and then the folder icon, the file is not visible.

In Excel, the file name and path appear correctly in the recent files list (and opens correctly if selected).

In Excel, if I click Open > Browse and select the folder, the file is not visible. If I type the correct file name and click the "open" button, the file opens correctly.

If I browse the folder in Windows explorer the file is not visible.

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi Richard, could you confirm that the files have the green tick icon when they appear in Explorer?

Does this only occur for files in a certain folder, or does it occur throughout the account?

Could you try temporarily quitting the Dropbox desktop application to check and see if this happens when it isn’t running.

Let us know the results!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Elixir
Super User
Go to solution

Is it possible that the files are hidden in your system? Can you please turn on the Windows explorer settings to show hidden files? 

In order to do that go Windows Explorer >> View >> Options >> Change folder and search options. 

2018-06-25 at 8.39 PM.png

In the next window, Click View > and toggle the button to show hidden files: 

2018-06-25 at 8.40 PM.png

Is the files visible now in Windows Explorer?

richardmonk
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

The files do not appear in explorer, so there is no way to check for a green tick.

This is occuring in a number of folders throughout the account.

I have quit the Dropbox desktop application. The files did not reappear in Windows explorer. I have rebooted several times. Still files not visible.

File 2018-06 showing in recent files list..

recent.jpg

File 2018-06 showing in Dropbox online folder...

dropbox.jpg

File 2018-06 missing from Open > Browse window

open.jpg

richardmonk
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Bingo! The files were set as Hidden.

No idea why, or how this could have happened. I was working on several files at the same time, yet only some saved as hidden, and I definitely didn't intend for anything to be hidden, so now I have to figure out what on earth was going on.

Thanks for your help.

Bob M.43
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I have what sounds like the exact same issue though I don't think it's Dropbox with the issue.  I also have XYplorer, and everything shows up in there just fine.  I'll put money on the latest Windows 10 update being the culprit.

Bob M.43
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Whoa, I just opened one of my recent Excel files that I had saved to one of the affected folders, and followed it's path.   Somehow, the files were moved from the original "Dropbox/Docs/Business Records" to "Dropbox/Documents/Videos"!

When I go to Dropbox in my browser, Dropbox sync preferences, and XYplorer, everything is the same as it's always been - i.e., "Dropbox/Docs/Business Records" all intact, and absolutely no "Dropbox/Documents/Videos" folder at all.

I'll still put money on it being a Windows update issue.

lubamaros
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I had the same issue but just for folders which had ":" in the name like "Folder:Numberone", when I erased the ":" it suddenly appeared in the Explorer.  

Need more support?