Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

My folders sync on my pc, though I can't see them on my Mac. What should I do?

Level 3

I have 56 folders in my dropbox on my PC, but 16 of these folders are missing on dropbox on my Mac.  I am certain this is not to do with invalid file names, as surely the folders would still sync but just without the invalid individual files? Could anyone shed some light as to why I am not seeing these folders?

7 Replies

Re: Folders on PC but not on Mac

Dropboxer
Hey @Brischica, here’s a bit of info that would be helpful in diagnosing this behavior!

• As an initial step, can you make sure that you’re running the latest stable version of the application on your Mac (56.4.94), you’ve made all OS updates & you’re not using Symlinks? It’s also advisable to make sure Dropbox is syncing correctly on your menu bar, as below:  
menu-bar.png

That essentially means that once you hover your mouse over the Dropbox icon, you’ll see the syncing status (eg. Up-To-Date, Indexing &c). You can also have a look at the overlay icons on your device Arrows Counter ClockWhite check mark. Do they appear as expected?  

• If you suspect that something isn’t working correctly, I’d like to point you towards third party apps that may be obstructing our updates in the background (eg. some users have reported that the application "Boxifier" blocks the installation from being carried correctly). To bypass this, could you disable any Security/Antivirus programs & give our offline installer a try?  

Once you do, please let me know of the outcome in your next post, so that we work on that as closely as possible. Thanks & I hope you have a creative Monday ahead! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Highlighted

Re: My folders sync on my pc, though I can't see them on my Mac. What should I do?

Level 3

Hi Jane, thank you so much for your reply. I am using 56.4.94 and when I hover over the icon it says it is uploading 151 files. I have been amending stuff on my dropbox folder on my PC today, so that may be why. I hasten to add, that these folders have been in existence for a couple of years, so I am sure that they should have synced by now! Thanks in advance! Nicky

Re: My folders sync on my pc, though I can't see them on my Mac. What should I do?

Dropboxer
Thanks for letting me know of your findings Nicky (@Brischica), that’s very much appreciated indeed! 

Based on your description, it seems that the Dropbox app is trying to sync or has frozen Arrows Counter Clock. If so (& you’re not using Boxifier), then you could have a look at the steps outlined here: 

• Download the newest version:  https://www.dropbox.com/downloading?plat=mac&type=full (Mac)
  • Stop Dropbox (if needed) by clicking the Dropbox icon in the menu bar on the top of your screen. >Click on the gear in the Notifications panel and select "Quit Dropbox".
  • Delete the Dropbox application from the Applications folder. You may need to provide your computer password in order to perform this action. 
  • Then, you may reinstall the Dropbox desktop application following these steps: 
  1. Open the Dropbox .dmg file and double click the Dropbox icon.
  2. Dropbox should appear in your menu bar.

Thanks again for your cooperation & the time you devote to work on my suggestions. I’ll be awaiting your next post on how my advice works for you. Enjoy the rest of your day until we talk again! 

Jane

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

Level 3

Hi Jane,

I deleted my old dropbox and downloaded a new one but the folders are still not there, despite the sync completing. Do you have any other ideas?

Thank you!

Nicky

Dropboxer
I appreciate your update on the progress here Nicky, let me follow a different route to troubleshoot the issue you’re experiencing! 

At this point, let me retrace our discussion, as I’d like to ask you whether your files are updating on your account online as expected. Once your files are uploaded, you should be able to see it on your Events or your Homepage online. (Note: Your files should appear on your Homepage in case they were recently uploaded.) Can you see your folders updating there as expected?

In other words, provided that the re-installation has fixed any previous syncing issues on your Mac, it would be best for troubleshooting purposes to ensure that your files are also uploaded on your account online when you add new content.  

Please do let me know of your findings & we’ll take it from there Nicky. Thanks again for all your cooperation & efforts on our discussion here!

Jane

Level 3

Hi Jane

Yes my folders are updating online and I can see them on my homepage.

Dropboxer
Thanks a lot for all your cooperation & keeping me updated on the progress Nicky (@Brischica)! 

So as to best advise on how you can go about with this syncing issue, let me have a closer look through our Official channel, since it would be best to check the info I have on my end on my tools. 

For that reason, I’ve made sure to reach out to you directly via email on my end. Whenever you find some time, please check your inbox for my email & I’ll make sure to promptly get back in touch with you asap. 

Thanks again for reaching out on our Forum & I’ll be awaiting your next reply. Have a creative & fruitful Monday ahead until we talk again Nicky! 

Jane

Missing files and folders

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

My folders sync on my pc, though I can't see them on my Mac. What should I do?
7 Replies
0 Likes
Solved! : See solution