cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Integrations

Find solutions to issues with third-party integrations from the Dropbox Community. Share advice and help members with their integration questions.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android Contacts Sync

Android Contacts Sync

Ian D.21
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I have Dropbox up & running on 2 Android phones. I have ticked the box in Dropbox Settings to Sync Contacts on both phones. What am I supposed to do next? I can find no sign of any "contacts" on Dropbox and no syncing process happening. I can find no guidance anywhere in help or on a Google search. They all seem to say it happens automatically after ticking the right box.

Frustrated and annoyed at being made to feel foolish !!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

SentientFlesh
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
I know this is an old(er) post, but I wanted to do this today and found this page. After a little playing around, there is a very simple way to do this.

Firstly, The 'Sync Contacts' option label in the Dropbox settings is misleading, it is there to share Dropbox content with your contacts.

You can however very easily add your contacts to Dropbox:

1) Go into your contacts app
2) Select all your contacts
3) Select the share button
4) Select 'Add to Dropbox'
It will upload a file called 'Contacts.vcf' to your Dropbox, and will be visible in your files. Just make a folder for it and you're good to go.

Hopefully this helps someone looking into this same issue.

View solution in original post

17 Replies 17

Chris_J
Super User
Go to solution

I believe that option is just to authorize the app to sync contacts already on that particular phone.  It needs that permission to access it.  Dropbox doesn't sync that contact list anywhere.  Although on Android, on settings, one can sync Google to all devices, thus its can sync then but not thru Dropbox

-------------------------

if this works and it was a solution, please click on Accept as Solution.  Also clicking on Likes would be super.  Thanks!

Ian D.21
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

i have no idea what you are saying......i read your post 3 times.....and it still doesn't make sense.

Are you saying Dropbox Sync doesn't work?

Sync with camera and photos is working.

I use Dropbox all the time for transfering many different kinds of large files that I cannot email.

Normally Dropbox is very good and simple.

Chris_J
Super User
Go to solution

Pardon me, I am sorry if I am misunderstanding you.  But when you type an name in a field, it should automatically try to fill it with possible contacts. This info has to come from somewhere.  I don't find any settings in Dropbox app to this, however on web interface at https://www.dropbox.com/account  you can remove all imported contacts.  Screenshot https://gyazo.com/f932dc263bb24ae8a0806bcdf7916aac  this is what I was referring to.  If I am way off base, sorry.

https://www.dropbox.com/help/8338

if this works and it was a solution, please click on Accept as Solution.  Also clicking on Likes would be super.  Thanks!

Ian D.21
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I am not trying to remove anything from Dropbox.

My understanding of 'Sync' is that there should be an identical copy (synchronised) of my mobile phone contacts on Dropbox so that I can access or copy (synchronise) the contacts with another mobile phone.

At the moment, I have ticked all the boxes to make this happen via 2 mobile phone Dropbox apps. One mobile phone has a full contacts list, one is empty and there is no sign of any contacts data in my Dropbox space. What am I missing?

Chris_J
Super User
Go to solution

I understand what you are trying to accomplish but within Dropbox app on phone, I find it not going to happen because on phone app is different than a Desktop app (Client).  On Mobile app, it list all the files but the files are NOT Downloaded to your phone.  This is because it does not want to consume all your data and space on cell.  ex: I have about 78 GB of stuff, there is no way that stuff will be able to get on phone.  However, one can 'favorite' the file and put it on HD of cell.  But then again, it downloads to a specific place and how are you going to get it to Dropbox.  Do you have an app that does that?

More info:  https://www.dropbox.com/help/82

Ian D.21
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Again you miss the point.

There is no sign of any UPLOAD of the contacts to Dropbox even though I tick the option to Sync Contacts.

Chris_J
Super User
Go to solution

well, I defer, you simply do not get it.  You said so yourself.  If you do not believe me, fine but you can submit a Support Ticket at https://www.dropbox.com/support

It will take up to 3 Business Days or more if you are a basic user.  You can follow up with Ticket via Zendesk at https://dropbox.zendesk.com

Ian D.21
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

EXCUSE ME !!

You are not addressing the questions I ask. I understand and know what you say about mobile app being different and not downloading the whole Dropbox content etc.

That does not explain why, when I tick the box to sync contacts no synchronising process starts. Not even an UPLOAD of the vcf file to Dropbox (not a large file), nevermind downloading.

The sync for photos and videos works well, with the contacts .vcf file, it does not.

I have now synchronised my contacts manually using a USB cable and copying the .vcf file to my laptop and then down again to the other phone. It should have been possible via Dropbox but they appear to have a tickbox for the process in the settings that simply doesn't work.

I have not said that I don't believe you. I find you putting words in my mouth and saying that "I simply don't get it" not helpful.

Chris_J
Super User
Go to solution

I'm am sorry Ian D. so sorry

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

SentientFlesh Explorer | Level 4
    Rohan M. New member | Level 1
    Chris_J Super User
    Mark C.49 Helpful | Level 5
    Ian D.21 New member | Level 1
What do Dropbox user levels mean?