Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

no

Highlighted

Android app low res image previews

Level 2

I was wondering if there is a legitimate reason as to why image previews on the Android app are low resolution.

I have received a link to a folder of images in view-only mode, so I am not able to download the full quality images.

But if i open the link in a browser on my Android phone the image previews look great, same as on my PC. I would prefer to use the app as the interface is better than the mobile browser but the previews look terrrible.

I found this old thread: 
https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Installation-and-desktop-app/Dropbox-just-shows-me-compressed-low-re...
But the reason stated in there does not seem likely.

I was hoping a Rep would be able to explain why this is the case and try to push for this to be fixed, as it only seems to be the Android app with the issue.

3 Replies

Re: Android app low res image previews

Dropboxer

Hey there @SubbyDew - how are you today?

You should be able to add this folder (or files) to your account to then be able to access it from within the mobile app on your Android device - is the shared link in question password protected perhaps and that's why you don't get an option to download directly to your device (or add to your Dropbox account)? 

As you know, Dropbox uploads your photos in full resolution. However, when photos are previewed in the Dropbox app, we show you a scaled down version for faster loading. If you’d like to view your photos in full resolution, I would recommend exporting the file to your device.

On Android you can export a photo through these steps:

- Tap the quick action button (circular button) to the right of the file name
- Tap “Export”
- Choose where you want to export your file.

You should be able to view the full-resolution image(s) from your device directly now. 

For more context as to why this is happening read on: 

Our mobile application is a file viewer that allows you to preview the files, photos, and videos in your Dropbox folder directly on your mobile device. 

Unlike the Dropbox computer application, the Dropbox app does not automatically store files locally on your device (merely because we want to be mindful of resource constraints mobile devices face such as device storage or bandwidth limitations). Given this, the contents of your Dropbox will not take up space on your mobile device. It also means that you cannot preview files without a WiFi or data connection.

I hope this information helps to some extent and please keep me posted on your progress. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Level 2

Hi Walter,

It is a passwrod pretected folder so there is no option to export, save or download them.

I found it odd that as mentioned in that other thread, they had no issues previewing images on an iPad, only an Android tablet, is that becasue the iPad app is treated differently to other devices?

I'd be curious if the previews are high or low res on an iPhone, I don't have such a deivce to test on though.

So it seems the only way for me to view the images in good quality on my phone is through the browser which doesn't have the best interface to say the least.

Dropboxer

In that case, you can ask the original owner (the one who sent you the shared link in the first place) to re-create the link without password protecting it and re-share it with you so you can then download or add these files to your Dropbox account (thus enabling you to see the original file in its original resolution). 

I know it's not ideal but it should help with this @SubbyDew

Let me know of any updates!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Mobile

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Android app low res image previews
3 Replies
0 Likes
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post