cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Authentication required on ipad files app

Authentication required on ipad files app

pasto
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hello, 

when trying to import from the files app on an iPad, it keeps asking for authentication in the Dropbox app, I did logged myself in the app but Files keeps asking and don’t give me access to the dB files.

thanx a lot for your help.

24 Replies 24

Buldir
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

By "previous comments," do you also mean mine? Did you try rebooting your phone? 

JasonTM1
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I had the same issue on a new iPad. I was signed into the Dropbox app(no passcode) and it was working fine. Opening the files app and tapping on Dropbox would prompt me to authenticate via the Dropbox app first. Steps I tried were..

1- Delete Dropbox, reinstall, login, try Files app.. no luck.

2- Kill all apps, reboot iPad, try Files app.. no luck.

3- Open Files app on iPhone and access Dropbox(recommended by previous post), worked fine, but back on iPad the Files app continued to prompt me to sign into the Dropbox app first which was already working fine.

4- Rebooted iPad, tried to access via Files app, no luck.

5- Rebooted iPad a second time.. no other changes made.. works fine now.

FWIW I had no trouble accessing Google Drive or OneDrive via the Files app. I find the Dropbox app to be buggy when dealing with the Files app. This was one example, another is that favorites in the Files app that point to Dropbox folders will at times disappear and might reappear on their own later. It’s as though the Dropbox app is crashing in the background and causing those favorites to no longer be valid. Again, I have no issues with favorites in Google Drive or One Drive.

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Sorry to hear that you’re still having trouble with this. In order to further investigate on the matter, I’d recommend moving this discussion to email. For this reason, I’ve sent you an email to the email address associated with your Forum profile. Please check your inbox for my latest message. 

Cheers!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Abernathy
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi pasto (and everyone!) 

Sorry to hear you're experiencing this issue. We've fixed this for the next release, but it won't be out for about a week and a half.

In the meantime, we do have a workaroudn: After you've logged into Dropbox, simply restart your device. It's sort of annoying as a workaround, but we've found it consistently works because the restart makes all of the underlying process associated with the Files app restart as well, which breaks out of the authentication issue.

Please note: This workaround will not work if you're logged out when the device is restarted.

Cheers!

Did you find my post helpful? If it answers your question, please mark 'Accept as Solution" below so other users can find it quickly! 🙂

JasonTM1
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I think your note about being logged in during the reboot is why my first reboot did not fix the problem. If memory serves, I actually logged out before the first reboot(step 4) in order to ‘start fresh’. Logging back in did not fix the issue, but when I rebooted once more(step 5) I was logged in and then everything worked properly.

Thanks for the reply!

JasonTM1
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I want to follow up on my comment about Favorites disappearing in the Files app for Dropbox only. I have Favorites pointing to folders in OneDrive and Google Drive that I had created for testing. Today they also disappeared while using the Files app.

So to correct my previous complaint, it is not just Dropbox that has this issue and may have more to do with a bug in the Files app itself or the api used for 3rd party integration. The only favorites that will stay 100% of the time are those that point to iCloud Drive folders. iCloud Drive is synced on the OS level and not with a 3rd party app.

Kromer
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I am also having this issue as of 11/11/18

Swaneffect
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I am having the same issue with Files app and Dropbox on a new iPad Pro. It had not been an issue with my prior iPad Pro. When I try to activate my business account in Files app, I get a prompt to authenticate with Dropbox in the Dropbox app, even though I am already authenticated. This happens through restarting, deleting and reinstalling the Dropbox app. I can log into my personal Dropbox account with the Files app, but not my business Dropbox app.

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey peeps!

If the workaround @Abernathy suggested is not doing the trick for you, please contact our Support team for a more in-depth investigation on the matter, due to account specific info that’s required. 

Thanks in advance! :slight_smile:

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Anticia
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

It used to be just fine for months but since a week I have the very same issue and not even rebooting the iPad (twice) helped. It just doesn’t let me acces my files. When I tap "authenticate" it just freezes and remains like that until I either reboot it or wait for a few hours to pass. Dropping the app doestrogen do the trick.

I updated the iOS yesterday but it didn’t help either.

Same problem with favourites, too, the list disappears every now and then. Most often than not actually.

Need more support?