cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camera Upload- Preserve Original Photo creation Dates?

Camera Upload- Preserve Original Photo creation Dates?

Andy T.3
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Hello, I have a great deal of photos on my Iphone that I am contemplating to use DropBox. Archiving is very important to me with original creation dates. If I use the Camere Upload app, will the photo uploaded to Dropbox have the original creation date and other meta data (camera used, gps info). It is very important that I have the original creation date on my pictures and have this file be accessible on my other devices.

In Mac and MS Windows, if I move a file (cut/cop), the creation date is preserved. If I copy a file, the creation date becomes the date when the file was copied. So in the Camera Upload app am I copying or moving? Or I can do both?

-Andy

38 Replies 38

JKP
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

No, still no solution. Please share. Thanks

@Ed wrote:

Hi there,

Sorry for the delay - are you still having issues?

Yes

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

This has not changed and, with the upcoming changes to the way photos are handled, I don't see this changing anytime soon.

The modified date will always be the date that the file was uploaded. Your photos still retain the date that they were taken within the EXIF data of the file. That information, however, is not displayed on Dropbox.

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey  JKP and all!

Thanks for taking the time to get in touch with us on the Community! 

As @Rich stated above, currently, preserving the metadata associated with the file creation is not a feature within Dropbox, since the metadata we keep track of is when the photo was first uploaded on Camera Uploads, though, because we’re always looking for user input when building out new features, I'll make sure your comments are passed along to our Dropbox development team for further review. 

Again, thanks for all the time you have devoted in sending this feedback, we appreciate it a lot! 

Kind regards, 
JaneA

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

MGJones
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I think this is shocking! Surley, it's fundamental for any 'file storage system' to preserve the creation dates of all files. My goodness has Dropbox scrubbed this information on everything I've uploaded?  

MGJones
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

On closer inspection... It seems that in 'Photos' the 'creation dates' are preserved. Phew! This thread had got me worried.

fencetsang
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
Could you share how can I see the EXIF data if Dropbox is no longer displaying it? I really want to organise and track some photos taken date from time to time.
Thanks in advance.

fencetsang
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
in my case the creation dates become the upload date...not the photo taken date

sallywr
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I don't see where anyone has answered the repeated question - How to see the creation date of a photo once it is downloaded into Dropbox.  Right click on the photo in Dropbox and click "Properties".  Then click the tab at the top of the newly opened window that reads, "Details".  Under the heading "Origin" you should see "Date Taken" and there it is! 

Hope this is helpful.

theotherdtown
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

HOW do we access the EXIF data?  Another user selected right clicking to access "Properties," but no such option is displayed when I right click.  If I download, the photo now has a creation date that is download date.  I have lost the dates on literally hundreds of photos of my son's first year, and it's pretty heartbreaking.

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey there @theotherdtown - how are ytou today?

As you mention you can't see the "Properties" option I imagine you are using a Mac computer. While this is not actually Dropbox related (directly at least), this is what I was able to find for you:

This is how to bring up EXIF, location, and other metadata information in Photos for Mac:

1. Launch Photos on your Mac.
  2. Select the picture you want to find out about.
  3. Click on Window > Info in the menu. (Or just hit Command + I.)

I hope this helps and please let me know what you find. Thanks!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Joan S.18 Helpful | Level 6
    Kasem L. New member | Level 2
    Tracey O.1 New member | Level 1
    Doug K.17 Helpful | Level 5
    Razer M. New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?