cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Can't open file, which i have download from Dropbox using direct download link.

Can't open file, which i have download from Dropbox using direct download link.

Alexandar
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi There,

In mobiles, I couldn't able to open the downloaded file, which I have downloaded from Dropbox using the direct download link (here is the dummy link for your test - https://www.dropbox.com/s/zsfyc5tulg13630/AVP81355.mp3?dl=1).

But the same file can able to access through Dropbox mobile app.

Screenshot_2017-08-16-11-40-19.png

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Sanchez
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @raech, welcome to our community! 

I’m not able to recommend specific third-party apps, but I can give you some pointers. 

It sounds like your device doesn’t have the capability to open/play the file you’ve downloaded. So, you need to see what king of file it is, and then look for an app that can handle it. 

If you are uploading music files to your Dropbox, you can open/preview/play them on our website only if they are listed on this page. In short, .aac .m4a .mp3 .oga and .wav files are compatible on our site. 

I hope this helps. 
Cheers! 

Sanchez
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: What do you think about the Community? Fill out our survey here!

View solution in original post

15 Replies 15

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
I've downloaded it and its opened fine here.

Do you have something on your machine or device that will open MP3's? All Dropbox does is get the files to the device, it doesnt manage the opening of them.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Sanchez
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @Alexandar, welcome to our forum! 

I just want to make sure I understand the issue…

- You download a file using a Dropbox link, modified to dl=1, on a mobile device. 
   You can open this file using the Dropbox mobile app, but not the downloaded file on your mobile. 

If this is correct, what may be happening is that these files can be previewed (opened) by our app, because they are supported file types. In order to view/open/listen to/etc. on your mobile, you must have an app that can handle these file types. 

For example, our app and website, have the ability to preview (open) .mp3 files. If you want to play the .mp3 on your mobile device, you must have an app that can play .mp3s. 

I hope this helps! Let me know. 

Sanchez
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: What do you think about the Community? Fill out our survey here!

Alexandar
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi 

I have Google Play music on my mobile and also the problem not only for mp3 file. Let us assume there is an APK file, while I click the downloaded APK file from other sources like Google Drive or mail etc.,

@Mark wrote:
I've downloaded it and its opened fine here.

Do you have something on your machine or device that will open MP3's? All Dropbox does is get the files to the device, it doesnt manage the opening of them.

it asking me to install or not in Android devices. But in our case, it shows "can't open file".

Sanchez
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Can you tell me what device you’re using, and what version of Android you’re on? Is this an official release from your mobile’s manufacturer? Also, are you using the latest version of our mobile app, 60.2?
Thanks

Sanchez
dropbox.com/support

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

I’m just following-up on that,since I was able to reproduce on my end and it seems that your device can’t open mp3 file formats natively, since Dropbox can't find an application capable of viewing your file type (when downloaded from the shared link), so as @Mark had previously mentioned, you'll need to install an app that can open your file. 

Additionally, should you opt to put your mp3 file on your Dropbox account on your phone, it won’t preview there either, though it’ll preview normally on your account online. 

That being said, the workaround for the recipient to listen to your message would be to force the file to render on the browsing window that they’ve received the shared link on their phone. What they’ll need to do is add raw=1 at the end of the shared link URL, that will cause an HTTP redirect. Therefore, instead of:

You may use: 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zsfyc5tulg13630/AVP81355.mp3?raw=1 

Hope you this helps, please keep us updated if you need more assistance. 

Happy anniversary!

Warm regards, 
JaneA

Jane
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

PenguinRivo
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hello Alexandar!!!

Random guess, try to update Google Play Services and Google Music:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.gms&hl=en

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.music&hl=en

Weirdly, I dunno if external google links are allowed 😄

In case my post gets modified, just open your Google Play app and search for the 2 apps by name. Then click on UPDATE if the option is available.

Rivo, your friendly dropboxing penguin :penguin:

raech
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
Drop box music can'tplay it. I save my music to drop box, now i want to hear it again but can't play

raech
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
Which apps please help me here

Sanchez
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @raech, welcome to our community! 

I’m not able to recommend specific third-party apps, but I can give you some pointers. 

It sounds like your device doesn’t have the capability to open/play the file you’ve downloaded. So, you need to see what king of file it is, and then look for an app that can handle it. 

If you are uploading music files to your Dropbox, you can open/preview/play them on our website only if they are listed on this page. In short, .aac .m4a .mp3 .oga and .wav files are compatible on our site. 

I hope this helps. 
Cheers! 

Sanchez
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?