cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: 2nd example - a .txt file that I can edit

Cannot edit some text files in Dropbox on iPhone?

mike160304
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

In the Dropbox app on iPhone SE, I can open all my text files, but in some of them I do not get the Edit icon (looks like a cursor) at bottom left, so cannot edit them.

In others, I get the Edit icon at bottom left, and can edit them.

In both cases the text files are from the Notepad app on my Windows 10 PC.

When I cannot edit a text file, the settings and menus that I can call up do not seem to provide any solution.

Am I missing something?

Mike

46 Replies 46

mike160304
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

Cardinal2B and Sanchez - 

I just googled and found the following.  I don't agree with him/her, the only font that annoys me is Times New Roman, but so what?

The 10 fonts below are overused and patently annoying, and we give 10 good reasons to stop using all of them.
  • Trajan. ...
  • Arial. ...
  • Comic Sans. ...
  • Franklin Gothic. ...
  • Helvetica. ...
  • Bradley Hand (and Other “Handwritten” Fonts) ...
  • Courier and Courier New. ...
  • Papyrus. Papyrus is the king of bad fonts.

Cardinal2B
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

I never got a response from Dropbox.

annoying.

sent another request today.

IF I ever hear back / get a ticket number I will advise.

...don’t think that article Mike got on Google about 10 worst fonts is of any import, so ignoring that.

mike160304
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

@Cardinal2B wrote:

I never got a response from Dropbox.

annoying.

sent another request today.

IF I ever hear back / get a ticket number I will advise.

...don’t think that article Mike got on Google about 10 worst fonts is of any import, so ignoring that.

Hi there, 

Many thanks.  I doubted that the fonts made any difference.

It's an annoying problem. 

Hopefully Dropbox will reply soon.

Regards,

Mike

Minato
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hello to all,

Apologies for the miscommunication on my previous post, we're looking into this behavior.

Please raise a ticket with our support team (at

providing specific file names and screenshots this behavior is occurring so we can investigate more.

Thank you!

Minato
Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Cardinal2B
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

Once again...
I have tried to get a response from Dropbox Support. TWICE. I have not received a reply, except a survey asking how support was (probably you can imagine the grades were pretty low).
Yours is the other response, telling me to ask for support again (that would be a third time).
I think between us all in this thread we’ve supplied files and locations that can and cannot be edited, plus I am still waiting for response with a ticket number, so to ask me to do all this is simply stalling tactics on your part, and busy work on mine.
Tell you what, why don’t you enter / Create a ticket for me? Send it to me in an email, then I will be a bit more cooperative.
You’re the guy, after all, who said you can’t edit in the app to begin with, so...

mike160304
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

Cardinal2B - 

Re "Yours is the other response, telling me to ask for support again (that would be a third time).", I thought I said "Hopefully Dropbox will reply soon", I was not telling you to do further "busy work".  As for "stalling tactics", I wish I was sufficiently competent in IT to have "tactics", all I have is a stack of problems, most of which have nothing to do with Dropbox or indeed computers.

Minato has made a helpful suggestion, I'll try to reply and to open a ticket as soon as I can find a little spare time, though I already supplied examples of files with and without this problem.

Best regards,

Mike

mike160304
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

Minato,

Thank you for your reply to all of us - I already supplied, in this thread, examples of files with and without this problem.  I had only just started to upload a few text files onto Dropbox, so I doubt that I have much else that I can send.

Also, Cardinal2B has already opened a ticket on the same subject, but has at time of writing had no reply.

But if you think that it would help if I opened a ticket as well, I can try to do this, but it would not be this week, I am away on a trip.

Cardinal2B
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution
Mike,
Sorry, none of that was directed at you, but rather at Dropbox support who have yet to reply to my repeated requests and Minato saying make a request (when I have already as Minato should know), and some survey I got about the support I never received.
Not trolling here, but I am very frustrated.
Cardinal2B

mike160304
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

Cardinal2B -  Very sorry that I mis-read you, we are in the same boat here.  Like you I did spend quite a bit of time trying to work out why I could edit some .txt files but not others, even before I opened this thread.

What I did then change, feeling not in control of my own data, was:

-  I uninstalled the Dropbox Folder from my PC, because I could never sign out of Dropbox with the Dropbox Folder installed.

-  I deleted the Dropbox app from my iPhone, for the same reason.

My basis for both actions is my desire to have a 2nd password step between my PC/iPhone passwords (I use an alphanumeric iPhone password too, not a 6-digit passcode) and my more important files.

To anyone but me, it is probably self-evident that I cannot password and sync files across devices at the same time?????????

Back in 1943, we did not have PCs or smartphones at my primary school, so I had a disadvantaged childhood.

:slight_frown::slight_frown::slight_frown:

Best regards,

Mike

Sanchez
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey again, @Cardinal2B

I’ve looked into your submitted tickets, and found that on your first two submissions, our agents did indeed reply to you. If you didn’t receive either of them, can you please check your Spam/Junk folder, and let me know? Also, please ensure that "no-reply@dropbox.com" is not blocked, and that it’s added to your address book. This will help with future communications coming from our team.

Thanks! 

Sanchez
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: What do you think about the Community? Fill out our survey here!

Need more support?