Did you mean: 
Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

no

Highlighted

Document Scan Freezes Camera

Level 2

Hi,

I am using die Dropbox-App (138.2.2) on Android 7.1.2. in german language.

Recently I discovered the scan document feature. Excellent! But now it repatedly froze the camera, and wasting a lot of nerves and time. My steps

1. Navigate in the app to the folder (btw. listing subfolders above the documents would be handy for me).

2. click on "+" and select scan document ("Dokument scannen" in german)

3. the camera opens. I activate the flash (btw. here a fixed preset would be handy for me). Hold the camera above the document until the picture is taken automatically. Picture is taken - but the screen freezes. No file is created. No response nothing. When trying to access the camera afterwards with an other app, the camera is locked and cannot be accessed - this perists also after the dropbox app was forced to close via system settings...

The only way to get it working again is to restart the phone. The error is not properly reproducible, strangely sometimes it works just fine. Last time it took 5 restarts...

I'm not sure if this is related, but it might:

What is the minium free memory (ram and on card) requirement for "scan document" to run? Is this properly checked within the app, resulting in a warning if it is not available?

3 Replies

Re: Document Scan Freezes Camera

Hi DocPatient, 

My recommendations would be of clearing up space in your phone or try another method by reinstalling the Dropbox or contacting the customer service. slightly smiling face

And also to that question, there is no possible documents or statements given, sorry slightly smiling face

Dropboxer
Hey @DocPatient, while it would be a great idea starting off clearing up a bit of space on your iphone phone, you could also do so within Dropbox as well. The Dropbox app also stores certain items in cache for a quicker loading experience in our app, such as previewing documents, PDFs, and photos. These items are only cached for a certain period of time, and then the app will clear this space automatically (based on when the file was last viewed and the amount of space you have on your device).

To clear your cache on your android, please have a look at the steps outlined here:

Spoiler
- Tap the hamburger icon (three horizontal lines) in the upper-left corner of the screen
- Tap the gear icon in the upper-right corner of the screen
- Scroll to “Advanced features”
- Select “Clear cache”
Kindly have a look at my recommendations whenever you get a chance & let me know how you get on with my advice on this discussion. Thanks for your detailed description & we're looking forward to hearing back from you! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Mobile

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Document Scan Freezes Camera
3 Replies
1 Like
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post