cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Integrations

Find solutions to issues with third-party integrations from the Dropbox Community. Share advice and help members with their integration questions.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Download a Folder to Android

Download a Folder to Android

Richard B.38
Helpful | Level 6

This is SO frustrating. I have a real need to download entire folders to my android device. For some years I have used the FILE DOWNLOADER FOR DROPBOX from Play Store. I had to reset my android device and now I find the app is no longer available. No other third party apps seem to do this. So anyone know whether I can do this from Dropbox these days (without accessing dropbox .com) or of a third party app?

13 Replies 13

Sanchez
Dropbox Staff
Hey Richard, 

Thanks for posting your question in our forum.

I can’t make any suggestions on 3rd party apps, as we do not support them. 

However, you may be able to take advantage of offline folders. Here’s our page that shows you how to do it on you mobile https://help.dropbox.com/mobile/offline-folders

I hope this helps! 
Thanks

Sanchez
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: What do you think about the Community? Fill out our survey here!

Richard B.38
Helpful | Level 6

Thanks for the response. It's not really an answer for me as a) I only have basic (i.e. free) Dropbox and this facility is not available to me and b) I want the folders downloaded and exported out of the Dropbox domain (i.e. into the device file system).

There was an excellent 3rd party app 'Folder Downloader for Dropbox' which did exactly what I require. Unfortunately it is no longer available.

Richard

MayMay
New member | Level 2

The answer about how to select and download multiple folders to Android devices​ is not clearly ​answered. Is there a way to select multiple folders on Dropbox? Or a way to save multiple folders on Android devices? Save to Google photos or Google drive? I can't find a way to edit photos either. Any advice would be appreciated thank you

Richard B.38
Helpful | Level 6

Since my original post I have discovered ES FILE EXPLORER available free on Play Store. The previous app I used only downloaded folders and was very easy to use. ES FILE EXPLORER does tons of things and so using it is a bit more complex. But it does the job.

howsitgoing
Explorer | Level 4

Richard

You might like the android app "dropsync".  I have been using the free version for years now and its fine.  Very easy to use.  Apparently the auto sync doesn't work perfectly anymore, but I only ever manually sync anyway.  Terrific when heading to a meeting or court (I'm lawyer) for updating and then taking  the enire relevant dropbox folder with me on my (old) samsung pad (in a subfolder I created on the external memory I named "aa dropbox download folders").   

I'm not across how good or bad dropbox does this function now - it didn't download to android at all years ago when I started using dropsync.  

I have used es file explorer in the past - but I didn't know it could do this!  I use a more simple file manager now to call up and see the folder and files I have synced.

domino427
New member | Level 2

Very disappointing. It just doesn't make sense to me why we can't do this. For example, I read using Cool Reader. I used to be able to click an epub from my dropbox and it would open in Cool Reader, but now it doesn't (even if it might open Cool Reader). If I want to download my recent stash of books, I have to do it individually. Make available offline is useless to most of us. Are you working on this feature? There's competition out there now. 

Richard B.38
Helpful | Level 6

I see some more action on this topic. Just to update, on Android I still don't believe you can dowload an entire folder from Dropbox (someone tell me if this has changed). But....

1) You CAN download muliple files  by selecting the files and going to the menu where you can 'Save To Device' all those files in one operation. Not sure when this appeared in Dropbox as a friend told me about it some 6 months ago.

2) I still use ES File Explorer for entire folders. It is a bit convoluited in terms of menu selections:

Go to top left menu and select CLOUD.

You wil see your Dropbox folder (you may need to provide Dropbox credentials if it is the first time)

Select the dropbox folder.

Long Press the folder(s) you want to download.

Select menu at bottom right and select COPY TO option

Then the rest is easy. 

howsitgoing
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Richard

I have been using the app DropSync for years on multiple android devices and it works a treat with dropbox.  It downloads as many or as few folders as you want.  I just download, but you can up load as well.  I turn auto sync off and just update the key folders before  going to a meeting,  into court (I'm a lawyer) or on a trip.  But you can have it autosync.  I think its free. I have it set to put all my download folders in a master folder I created on the external memory card on my phone (and on my pad) called "dropsync folders".  Its only for android I bellieve.  Cheers

Richard B.38
Helpful | Level 6

Thanks, for that. I shall give it a go.

Richard

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Richard B.38 Helpful | Level 6
    WoodrowDunn New member | Level 2
    Vicki B.2 New member | Level 2
    Heffie6 New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?