cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox and Files App Issues (iOS 11)

Dropbox and Files App Issues (iOS 11)

Neil K.
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hello

I am having issues using Dropbox with the Files App.

1. When trying to attach a file to an email I can browse and select the file but when I select the file the round 'downloading' icon appears but it never completes. The square 'cancel' icon at the centre of the circle is unresponsive. 
  2. When browsing Dropbox within the Files App some (but not all) folders display "To view the items in this folder, you need to authenticate". When I click the button to authenticate the screen briefly flickers but nothing happens. 
  3. I cannot browse Dropbox within Files unless I disable my Dropbox pass-code/touch ID. A few days ago this was working.
  4. The search feature within Files does not return any of the Dropbox files.

I have tried the following steps to remedy the situation:

• Cleared Dropbox cache.
  • Deleted the Dropbox App and then restored it to the latest version (64.3)
  • Rebooted my iPhone 7.
  • Tried another device (iPad Mini 2).

None of these actions have made any difference. I would appreciate any help that you can offer.

Thank you.

45 Replies 45

DavidZ
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

We know about the issue where navigating into a folder whose name contains a period causes an authentication required screen to be displayed. It will be fixed in an upcoming update. Thanks for reporting!

Neil K.
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Thank you. I will look forward to the update.

ChrisLawyer
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution
Hi David,

I had another experience. Almost of my folders having name contains a period (.) with a blank-space, e.g. “1. A”, but I still can open them when navigating into. However, I have some folders name like “folder1.10.2017” that “authentication required” is displayed when navigating into it. Then I changed folder name to “folder1. 10. 2017”, added blank-space after period (.) then instantly it’s opened normally.

I tried another tests. I created a new folder name “1.1.1” in Dropbox, then I rename by adding blank-space one by one, I have results as follows:

1/ when changing folder name to “1. 1.1” or “1.1. 1”: cannot be opened.

2/ when folder name is changed to “1. 1. 1”: can be opened.

My conclusion: either period is not contained in folder name, or period is followed by a blank-space in a folder name, then such folder can be opened without “authentication required” screen.

So, it can be an alternative solution for those who wants to keep their folder name whose contains a period until having an official update of Dropbox fixes this issue completely.

Note: When making this test the Passcode fuction in my Dropbox is off. I have not yet tried when Passcode is on.

ChrisLawyer
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution
Hi Neil,

Try to add a blank-space after the period, e.g. “1. A” then this folder can be opened in Files App. I tried and it’s workable for me.

Irwin
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
I am having similar problem. But I totally could not access to Dropbox unless I disable the passcode lock in Dropbox

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

Irwin wrote:
But I totally could not access to Dropbox unless I disable the passcode lock in Dropbox

That is expected behavior. If your Dropbox app is passcode protected, then you can not use the Files app to access Dropbox. You'll need to remove the passcode from the Dropbox app.

Look at it this way. You've locked down the app so it can't be used, but you're trying to use it from another app that has no way to enter the passcode. It's like trying to use a remote garage door opener when you've put a padlock on the door.

Neil K.
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

@Rich wrote:

@Irwin wrote:
But I totally could not access to Dropbox unless I disable the passcode lock in Dropbox

That is expected behavior. If your Dropbox app is passcode protected, then you can not use the Files app to access Dropbox. You'll need to remove the passcode from the Dropbox app.

Look at it this way. You've locked down the app so it can't be used, but you're trying to use it from another app that has no way to enter the passcode. It's like trying to use a remote garage door opener when you've put a padlock on the door.

But the Files app CAN access Onedrive when it's passcode lock is enabled, so why can't it do it with Dropbox? Before the last update Files COULD access Dropbox, you just needed to enter the passcode or use touch ID, like it does when accessing Onedrive.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

Neil K. wrote:

But the Files app CAN access Onedrive when it's passcode lock is enabled, so why can't it do it with Dropbox?

Because at the moment, it can't. It will likely be able to in a later update. There are many iOS 11-specific items that are still being worked on. Have patience...

Before the last update Files COULD access Dropbox, you just needed to enter the passcode or use touch ID

None of the versions I've tested have been able to access Dropbox when a passcode existed. Initially it just kept prompting for authentication even if you were already authenticated, and later it actually displayed a message within Files explaining that passcode lock needed to be disabled.

Neil K.
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

@Rich wrote:

None of the versions I've tested have been able to access Dropbox when a passcode existed. 

I installed iOS11 within minutes of it being released. Files definitely could access Dropbox at this point just by using TouchID. Shortly after this Dropbox made a new version of their app available. It was at this point that it stopped working and displayed the message saying to disable the passcode.

It's not a big deal for me. I can wait. It's just when you mentioned it is like this 'by design' that it made me wonder why it could do it, then it was taken away with the update. Maybe it wasn't working correctly or is something to do with the other authentication problems people are having, such as filenames containing a period.

I'm sure a future update will fix all ...

Thanks for everyone's replies to this thread.

DavidZ
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Neil K. wrote:

I installed iOS11 within minutes of it being released. Files definitely could access Dropbox at this point just by using TouchID. Shortly after this Dropbox made a new version of their app available. It was at this point that it stopped working and displayed the message saying to disable the passcode.

You're correct: from iOS 8 up until the latest version of Dropbox for iOS 11, it had the "Doc Picker" and did support passcode/Touch ID. OneDrive still uses the older Doc Picker. You'll notice it's not as seamlessly integrated into the Files app though, for example, in the Files app you can't copy files between OneDrive and e.g. iCloud or Dropbox, but you can between iCloud and Dropbox.

There are some technical limitations relating to the passcode lock in the Files app and we're looking into solutions.

Need more support?