cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox and Files App Issues (iOS 11)

Dropbox and Files App Issues (iOS 11)

Neil K.
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hello

I am having issues using Dropbox with the Files App.

1. When trying to attach a file to an email I can browse and select the file but when I select the file the round 'downloading' icon appears but it never completes. The square 'cancel' icon at the centre of the circle is unresponsive. 
  2. When browsing Dropbox within the Files App some (but not all) folders display "To view the items in this folder, you need to authenticate". When I click the button to authenticate the screen briefly flickers but nothing happens. 
  3. I cannot browse Dropbox within Files unless I disable my Dropbox pass-code/touch ID. A few days ago this was working.
  4. The search feature within Files does not return any of the Dropbox files.

I have tried the following steps to remedy the situation:

• Cleared Dropbox cache.
  • Deleted the Dropbox App and then restored it to the latest version (64.3)
  • Rebooted my iPhone 7.
  • Tried another device (iPad Mini 2).

None of these actions have made any difference. I would appreciate any help that you can offer.

Thank you.

45 Replies 45

eto
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
Other problems... in Files App can’t browse Dropbox folder if the device is not online

JK1211
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Except Onedrive works just fine with the password on in their app.  The first time you go into Files app it asks for your Face/Touch ID or password and authenticates the files app via a Onedrive popup screen.

This IS a Dropbox flaw not Apple as clearly Microsoft made it work.

desy123
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
Yes, totally agree. Nomerous complaints have been lodged since last year & no remedy...seems like they want us to live with it unfortunately.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution
@JK1211 wrote:

This IS a Dropbox flaw not Apple as clearly Microsoft made it work.

It's not a Dropbox flaw. The only reason it works for Microsoft is because they're still using older functions and haven't yet updated to the new functions available within iOS 11. The technology in use is different between Dropbox and OneDrive, as explained above:

... from iOS 8 up until the latest version of Dropbox for iOS 11, it had the "Doc Picker" and did support passcode/Touch ID. OneDrive still uses the older Doc Picker. You'll notice it's not as seamlessly integrated into the Files app though ...

DavidZ
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
At the time I posted that comment, OneDrive only supported the "Doc Picker" however that's no longer true today. Microsoft added actual Files app integration with passcode support recently. The Files app limits what apps can do with passcode though: you'll notice that OneDrive takes a really long time before it will re-ask for passcode (e.g. close the Files app and come back in 10 minutes -- OneDrive lets you access your files without asking for passcode again), and Google Drive seems to have removed passcode from their app entirely. We definitely hear you. We'd like to add passcode to the Files app, but want to do it in a robust way and it's difficult to do it right.

desy123
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
Any progress so far ?
Need more support?