cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox and Files App Issues (iOS 11)

Dropbox and Files App Issues (iOS 11)

Neil K.
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hello

I am having issues using Dropbox with the Files App.

1. When trying to attach a file to an email I can browse and select the file but when I select the file the round 'downloading' icon appears but it never completes. The square 'cancel' icon at the centre of the circle is unresponsive. 
  2. When browsing Dropbox within the Files App some (but not all) folders display "To view the items in this folder, you need to authenticate". When I click the button to authenticate the screen briefly flickers but nothing happens. 
  3. I cannot browse Dropbox within Files unless I disable my Dropbox pass-code/touch ID. A few days ago this was working.
  4. The search feature within Files does not return any of the Dropbox files.

I have tried the following steps to remedy the situation:

• Cleared Dropbox cache.
  • Deleted the Dropbox App and then restored it to the latest version (64.3)
  • Rebooted my iPhone 7.
  • Tried another device (iPad Mini 2).

None of these actions have made any difference. I would appreciate any help that you can offer.

Thank you.

45 Replies 45

Worshond
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Just to be clear, I'm being negative towards Apple and its new crappy Files app, not Dropbox. The Dropbox app works perfectly! I was trying to make files available Offline. Works perfectly in the Dropbox app, but the Apple Files app just gives me spinning circles if I attempt the same thing. Apple is really going backwards.

Amal
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
I was having the same issue on my iPhone X. I had Face ID enabled for Dropbox and that was conflicting with “files” because it couldn’t verify. Once I disabled Face ID (settings :right_arrow: Dropbox :right_arrow: Face ID off), started working again. I’m guessing if you have any security passcode, Touch ID or Face ID enabled for the main Dropbox app, “files” will have issues.

desy123
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
It’s has been more than 2 months & numerous updatess from Dropbox & yet I am still unable to access Dropbox via iOS without disable the passcode lock. Pls advise
P.S i have faced this problem when I have upgraded to iPhone X. No issue with older iPhones.

Dwhite
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

@Worshond wrote:

Just to be clear, I'm being negative towards Apple and its new crappy Files app, not Dropbox. The Dropbox app works perfectly! I was trying to make files available Offline. Works perfectly in the Dropbox app, but the Apple Files app just gives me spinning circles if I attempt the same thing. Apple is really going backwards.

Exactly!! Just to be clear lol 😂 well said and thank you for it

desy123
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
Have you tried to email Dropbox help desk?

Rana Z.
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
I contacted the help desk. they asked some questions about the files. now they routed the email to "subject matter expert" who is helping. after the recent iOS update to 11.2.2 now I am able to attach files, but first I must disable the Passcode lock which i'm not happy about. I've already tried to uninstall the dropbox app. , cleared the cache, made sure the time zone is updated automatically, and siri is turned on and the issue is the same whether the files have a "period" in the name or not.
i'm fresh out of ideas. 😞

desy123
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
I am facing the same dilemma. After more than a month, Dropbox helpdesk has yet to resolve this passcode issue. I am not sure whether they will even bother to fit it.

Rana Z.
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
i had this long discussion with the dropbox helpdesk team via email. i even sent them a video on the steps i follow to attach files. it turns out it's not their interface it's the FILES APP. (New feature on the iOS 11) that will not authenticate the dropbox passcode. that was confirmed when i read the apple release regarding the iOS FILES app. and it does state clearly that it will not work properly if dropbox has the passcode on. so i'm hoping enough people will complain to apple about this so they can put a fix in.

desy123
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
Thanks for the info. Strangely I do not face the same issue with One cloud or Goggles Drive. I wonder if there is a Apple website that we can voice out about this.

eto
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
I have to report other issues

You can’t download to the device files if they are saved in folder with long names. Can’t say exactly the length but I tried to rename the folder with a shorter name and I downloaded the files flawlessly

I stopped sharing a folder and it disappeared from Files App. But it’s still there on dropbox app.
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

desy123 Helpful | Level 5
    DavidZ Dropbox Staff
    Rich Super User II
    JK1211 New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?