cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Integrations

Find solutions to issues with third-party integrations from the Dropbox Community. Share advice and help members with their integration questions.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox app for Android causing high battery usage

Dropbox app for Android causing high battery usage

AntonioC
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi there, I’m Antonio, a member of the Dropbox Mobile team. We’ve discovered an incompatibility issue between Dropbox’s app and Android OS that led to higher-than-normal battery usage on Android phones.

We’ve fixed the issue, and the app should return to normal functionality after restarting it. 

To restart the app:
  • On your device, open the Settings app and select Application Manager
  • Switch to the Running tab to view your active apps
  • Tap the Dropbox app and select Stop
  • Re-launch the Dropbox app from your home screen

If you’ve restarted the app and are still seeing higher-than-normal battery usage, please reply to this thread, and we’ll take a look.
101 Replies 101

megawhite
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

The toolbar has changed!  Yesterday the "Photos" button didn't exist I would only allow a link to an image.

2017-06-07 17.22.18.png

The following two images were taken at the same time:

2017-05-26 09.06.04.png

2017-05-26 09.05.59.png

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for the follow-up and the screenshots provided, much appreciated! 

It is my impression that you are using the Camera Uploads feature, which may use up your battery during its very first sync with your account online. Based on your description, you haven't initiated any uploads on your end, though probably background uploading drains your battery in the background. Especially when the case is that you are syncing videos or high-resolution pictures, your phone is continuously active. 

If camera Uploads is disabled and there was no Dropbox-related activity on the 7th and 8th of June , please feel free to raise a ticket with our team and let me know here once you have done so, so that I look it up internally. 

Kind regards, 
JaneA

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

dbeato
Super User alumni
Go to solution

I would agree with the Auto Sync, Google Drives does the same thing on Android devices.

Wilfried K.
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
Since the last update to 50.2.2 the android app drains my battery empty. Only deactivating will help. Before the battery usage was ok, but now it is not. Yesterday deactivating the automatic upload of fotos but it didn't help. My phone is an Samsung Galaxy S5 mini with android 6.0.1.
See the screenshot. So for me at the moment the app is not usable. I have to deactivate it.
https://www.dropbox.com/sc/08rstien1hkixsc/AADbCv3p5dbZoOG-gV15jpU2a

megawhite
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

Hi, I do have camera uploads enabled however the drain will happen even if I have not taken any new photos or video, or changed any files in my Dropbox account.

Whatever the cause is, the problem was not present about 2 months ago.  Nothing has changed about my usage, I have been using it for years to sync my camera uploads.  Someone has broken something.

I have already raised ticket #5962676.

Thanks,

Andrew

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey  megawhite

Thanks for following-up, much appreciated! 

I have located your open ticket and have notified my colleague on your comments, they’ll getting back in touch with more details on the case soon!

Hope this gets resolved soon. Wishing you a great week ahead! 

Warm regards, 
JaneA

Jane
dropbox.com/support

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for posting your comments on the Dropbox Community! 

Based on the screenshot, I can see that Dropbox has consumed 14% of your battery. Was that before or after you disabled the Camera Upload feature? Had you uploaded media before disabling Camera Uploads? 

Does the issue with battery usage persist when initiating automatic uploads as well? 

I’d be glad to go through some troubleshooting steps with you when you give me some more details on the case. 

Looking forward to hearing back froom you! 

Warm regards, 
JaneA

Jane
dropbox.com/support

megawhite
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

Hi, camera uploads were enabled and it consumed 14% that day with no new uploads that day since charging the battery.

As of yet I have not tried changing anything camera uploads have always been enabled.  I have just charged the phone to 100%.  I will monitor for Dropbox sucking the battery and I will try disabling the camera upload feature and see if that changes anything.

Willie
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
It's independent from the settings. This screenshot was taken after 6 hours with disabled camera upload. And no workload on my dropbox. If i enable the camera upload it's a littel more worth 17% or 18% i mean.

laiskudeze
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

The same problem with battery drain in Dropbox 52.2.2

Android 6.0.1

Sony Z3 compact

Please fix it !!! So the app becomes unusable !!!  I have a premium acount but can't use it !

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

bmart007 New member | Level 2
    Jay Dropbox Staff
    Alan R.4 Helpful | Level 6
    granchir Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?