Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

Highlighted

Dropbox app in IPhone no longer plays shared music files. Says "error loading the file"

Level 3

The dropbox app in my IPhone no longer plays music files. Says "error loading the file". I deleted and reinstalled the app, same result. Does anyone know why? 

Tags (2)
9 Replies

Re: Dropbox app in IPhone no longer plays shared music files. Says "error loading the file"

Dropboxer

Hey there @PMorell - sorry to hear that!

Could you share a screenshot of the exact error you get to make sure we're on the same page?

Also, have you rebooted your iPhone at all lately? Do you happen to have any pending updates for our app or your iPhone's OS? Does this happen for all of your music files (assumingly of the same type and/or extension) or only one or some? How large are they and what type? Do they preview on our website and are playable when you download them locally on your devices? 

Have you cleared your app's cache by any chance? 

Spoiler

Could you please try to clear the cache on your app and then sign out and back into your Dropbox account? To clear your cache, please follow the steps listed below:
- Navigate to the “Personal” tab
- Tap the gear icon in the upper-left corner of the screen
- Select “Clear Cache”

Please note: If you do not see the gear icon on this main page, first click on the icon on the bottom right of the app that says “Account”, “Personal” or your Dropbox Business name. You should see the gear icon on this account page.

Once this is done then please ensure you log out of the Dropbox application, then restart your device and log back in again.

Let me know what you find and we'll take it from there.

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Re: Dropbox app in IPhone no longer plays shared music files. Says "error loading the file"

Level 3

Thanks, Walter. Here's a screenshot of the error message. BTW, I have the same problem on my Ipad, but not on my PC. The PC plays the shared music files with no problem. 

As to your other questions: I rebooted the phone, updated the apps and cleared the cache. Nothing changed. Did not find a way to download them to my device as the files simply will not load. I can preview them (that is, see the names of all files in each folder and their sizes).

The files have the .m4a extension, and are mostly between 3 and 6 mb in size. I had no problem loading and listening to shared music files of like these until a couple of months ago.  Could this have anything to do with the upgrade to IOS 12.0.1, which happened around the same time as the problem. Any other ideas?

Again, thanks for taking the time and your interest in helping.IMG_2499.PNG

Dropboxer

Thank you for the additional information @PMorell - sorry to hear this persists.

Could you please let me know if you can open and play those files normally on your computer? Just use the file your screenshot refers to as a sample.  Also, do they (or this one at least) preview normally on our website? 

Moreover, are you running the latest version of your mobile's OS or an older version? Is there any pending update for the OS on your iPhone by any chance?

Let me know what you find and we'll take it from there.

Walter

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Level 3

Hi, Walter. The files play normally on my computer. I'm not sure what you mean by preview - I can see the files, their names and their size (see screeshot attached). The website "preview" looks similar on my computer.

My OS is up to date. As I mentioned before, the problem started soon after updating to IOS 12.0.1, which may or may not be a coincidence.

Thanks again, Pedro

Dropboxer

Thanks for the updates Pedro ( @PMorell); how are you today?

Does this persist for all files of this type and extension (m4a)? 

Can you do one last test for me please? Try offlining this specific file or even exporting it to your device or a 3rd party app and let me know if it does play normally.

If this fails too, please let me know and I'll reach out to you via email to work on this together. 

Thanks for your cooperation so far. 

Walter

Level 3

Hi, Walter. I offlined a couple of music files following the instructions in the link you sent me, then tried to open them. Got the same result both times(error message "couldn't load file").

Dropboxer

Sorry for the tardy response @PMorell - I seem to have missed your reply back in November; are you still having issues with this? 

If so, could you log a ticket with our team so we can have a look with all of our tools available?

Walter

Level 3
Thanks for getting back to me, Walter. Yes, the problem persists. How do I “log a ticket”?

Dropboxer

Thanks for the reply and sorry to hear this persists @PMorell - I've just sent you an email with some questions to work on this together; thus creating a ticket for you under ID: 8729437. Please take a look and we'll take it from there. 

Happy Monday!

Walter

Mobile

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Dropbox app in IPhone no longer plays shared music files. Says "error loading the file"
9 Replies
0 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post