cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox crashing on Android

Dropbox crashing on Android

R2more
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

For about a week now, Dropbox is crashing on my Android 5.1 phone (Kernel 3.10.65+).  Latest version of Dropbox I have installed is v.114.2.12 

I cleared app and phone cache, uninstalled, reinstalled, restarted, and still it doesn't work. 

It looks like it works on restart but when I try to access any files, it kicks me out of the app and to my home screen.

I noticed that the app is still running in the background, but every time I put focus on it; it kicks me out to home screen again.

38 Replies 38

hannns66
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Yes, when disabling network Dropbox will not crash (I reported this to Dropbox 4 weeks ago). But this does not help to update the program.

The cache is a mystery for me. Because if you clear the cache when disabled with network - the cache is not getting empty. This you can see if you go to the maintenance for apps in the Android-system level. And it does not help if you clear the cache in Android-system level too ... and at least it does not help if you clear the cache by making a factory reset ....

bit_nibble_bite
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I cleared the cache by going into Apps in the android menu.

Like others in this thread I'm unable to do anything within dropbox as it crashes immediately on start up if I have data or wifi switched on.

I tried switching off data/wifi starting db then clearing cache then sign out followed by sign in but as soon as data/wifi put back on db crashed

I uninstalled/reinstalled with only 118.2.2 available on play store but no change to problem

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for letting me know and sorry for my last reply - I'm on a BETA version of the Android app myself (currently running 121.10)  and as it seems, I've jumped up the gun here; apologies again. 

Would it be OK if I reached out via email (to the address you use for your forum's profile) so we can get an exact report and maybe send it to our technicians to have a further look @bit_nibble_bite?

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

bit_nibble_bite
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Sure no problem. May not get back to for a couple of days or so.

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

I just sent you an email @bit_nibble_bite - whenever you get the chance get to back me through that support ticket so we can continue our investigation.

Thanks again and, if we don't speak soon enough, have a lovely weekend!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

hannns66
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hello Dropboxers with Android 5.1! Try to download version 120.2.2, which is offered since several days. I did it just now and for me it seems to be stable! So I hope the stability will not disappear till tomorrow ....

ikopach
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Version 120.2.2 also works for me as expected. Thanks

JKhalifa
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

i've been facing this same problem for a while. if i try to access Dropbox on my phone, it just crashes without any error message. i just see that blue loading screen with the Drobox logo for a split-second, and then it's back to the home screen. uninstalling and reinstalling did not work. unlinking my phone from my Dropbox account via the website, and then unistalling and reinstalling did not work either. my android version is 5.0.2

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @JKhalifa, thanks for pinging us here on this matter!

I’ve just sent you a brief message through our support system to further investigate the possible cause based on the info I have on file on my tools. 

Please have a look at your inbox when you have some spare time & we’ll go from there!

Jane
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jane Dropbox Staff
    JKhalifa Explorer | Level 4
    ikopach New member | Level 2
    hannns66 Helpful | Level 5
    Walter Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?