cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox iOS Conversion of HEIC Photos to JPG on Portrait Mode Photos not Viewable on Sierra

Dropbox iOS Conversion of HEIC Photos to JPG on Portrait Mode Photos not Viewable on Sierra

sumocomputers
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I have my iPhone set to capture HEIC, and Dropbox client set to Save HEIC Photos As JPG.

If you take a "Portrait Mode" photo on the iPhone in HEIC, and have Dropbox convert this to JPG, the JPG is unviewable on a Mac running Sierra.

Non "Portrait Mode" photos are viewable fine on Sierra, and Portrait Mode photos that can't be viewed on Sierra, can be viewed on High Sierra.

NOTE: Portrait Mode is not the orientation of the phone, but a special mode that tries to create fake Bokeh by blurring the background through software.

System Info:

iPhone 7+ iOS 11.0.2
Dropbox for iOS v66.2.8
macOS Sierra v10.12.6

macOS High Sierra v10.13
Dropbox for Mac v35.4.20

Please see Screenshots:

macOS Sierra v10.12.6macOS Sierra v10.12.6

iOS v11.0.2 iPhone 7+iOS v11.0.2 iPhone 7+

Dropbox iOS v66.2.8Dropbox iOS v66.2.8

16 Replies 16

sumocomputers
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

On High Sierra, there was no problem opening the heic file, even with the .jpg extension. So changing the extension to .heic changed nothing (it still opened on High Sierra, and still could not be opened on Sierra).

But the real problem was that Dropbox was not converting heic files to jpg when the setting was on.

Now the problem has changed a little. Under most native setting conditions, Dropbox never converts the heic to jpg, so although it correctly keeps the .heic extension, the resulting file is not easily shareable.

I have since gone back to change the native phone settings to "most compatible (JPG/MP4)" until Dropbox can get it worked out. Also, it turns out that heic photos actually are of lower quality than jpg in many cases, and since I have 256GB, I'm not really concerned about space that much. The new video file would be important to me, however.

Daraclark
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Try other methods to convert HEIC to JPG format. iOS 11 can auto change HEIC format. When you transfer HEIF iPhone iPad to Photos, Image Capture, or a PC, the image can be converted to JPEG. Just go to Settings > Photos. In the "Transfer to Mac or PC" section, tap Keep Originals to prevent the media from being converted when importing. Or email these HEIC images, and they should be converted into JPG format. There are also many HEIC to JPG converters, online tools or desktop applications. Just google it. 

Vamker
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I don't know how you succeeded in converting HEIC to JPG , But I failed several times ,i just want to move my pictures from iOS to Mac .
>Settings > Photos > Transfer to Mac > Keep originals
After i done , But these photos can't be opened,
What am I doing wrong?

Koryantii
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

OP, did you get it fixed? I have the same issue with you. Which converter you are using? I am following the suggestions in this conversation tutorial and I can view the JPG photos on my MBP (OS X El Capitan)

Credit: iphonetransferrecovery.com/tutorials/convert-heic-to-jpg-iphone.html

sumocomputers
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I pinged Dropbox support via email on my ticket, and they said it is still open.

nakactach
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

open Dropbox on iPhone, tap on setting, find Camera Uploads and set “SAVE HEIC PHOTOS AS JPG (Recommended) to use dropbox convert heic to jpg.

JackRoger
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

In fact, there are many HEIC to JPG converter online and most of them are free. I also have the need to convert HEIC photos to JPG. But instead of the free tools, I selected Joyoshare HEIC Converter as it's lossless and supports many popular formats that others don't. It's easy to convert the HEIC photos to JPG or PNG or others with Joyoshare. Maybe you can have a test with its free version first.

Need more support?